Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OffAxis CNC 1000x1500

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by OffAxis, Feb 27, 2018.

1. OffAxis

OffAxis New
    Builder

Hey Guys,

Thanks for checking out my router build. Let me know if you have questions about the build. I will also be posting progress updates here along with major updates on the progress tab.

Read more about this build...

#1 OffAxis, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  2. Balu

Balu Well-Known
    Builder

Hey OffAxis,

the images on your build page are not displayed, because they seem to be externally hosted?

3. OffAxis

OffAxis New
    Builder

Balu likes this.
  4. AcBCDN

AcBCDN New
    Builder

I notice you are using 3/8 V Groove. Did you design the plates for X & Y yourself? I have been considering a retrofit using my 3/8 V Groove but have not seen (or missed) a design using them.

5. OffAxis

OffAxis New
    Builder

The aluminum plates are of my own design. I had the v groove bearings and wanted to make use of them so I designed the machine to utilize those bearings.

6. AcBCDN

AcBCDN New
    Builder

Are you planning on making them available?

7. OffAxis

OffAxis New
    Builder

In due time. I need to get the machine functional and make sure I'm happy with the performance before I release the plans.

I can certainly share the my bearing spacing and link to the eccentric spacers I used in the mean time.
    [​IMG]
    Units are millimeters.

Bushings that mount into the bearings:
    Fixed Bushing: PBC Linear VB2 bushing
    Adjustable Bushing: PBC Linear VBA2 bushing.

#7 OffAxis, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  8. AcBCDN

AcBCDN New
    Builder

Thanks. This helps.

9. OffAxis

OffAxis New
    Builder

Spent last night getting the frame secured and squared. I also got things rewired but it got too late and I had to get some sleep before I could get things moving.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mark Carew likes this.
  10. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

Very nice! One thing to keep in mind is that you will destroy the rails (aluminum) since the wheels are harder (steel).

11. OffAxis

OffAxis New
    Builder

I'm aware of that issue. Can you share some examples of the damage I can expect to see over time?

12. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

The aluminum will deform which may cause ruts. What everyone with steel wheels does is use a sacrificial rail like the OpenRail or they would use a steel square bar and place that in the v slot for the wheels to ride on. I wouldn't be able to find anything though as it's an avoided practice now. I also can't comment on the time frame, but a larger build or higher loads would only quicken the process.

13. OffAxis

OffAxis New
    Builder

Well, I'll keep an eye on it for now and see what happens. I should be able to mill out new plates if i have to change up the design which is not unlikely.

Kevon Ritter likes this.
  14. AcBCDN

AcBCDN New
    Builder

Thanks for the info. Here is my experience with vwheel and aluminium.

There is wear when you use aluminium as a track for the vgroove to ride in. It essentially rounds over the edges. The wear is noticeable and uneven depending on the size of projects you run. I have been using the vwheel method since 2012. It was in about 2015 I saw noticeble wear. I am a hobbyist so not more than 10 hours use per week on my current cnc router.

I am going to use my old wheels the same way OffAxis has shown here. Thanks to the solution he found it works for me.

Will there be wear? I believe so.
    Will it be significant? Give my experience with my current cnc router I believe it will take some time given the amount I use it. Adding a vrail as an upgrade won’t be that difficult (I hope).

The other factor for wear is the gantry weight. With my old cnc router I used MDF (remember it was 2012). MDF torsion box for the X(24”), linear rod and a Velox Z axis. That weight put a lot of pressure on the aluminium guide rail for the y (48”). I think this newer setup will have a lighter gantry. It will bring unexpected benefits and consequences I am sure. BTW it was not speedy. But did get 260IPM rapids and 100IPM cutting. 428oz steppers (automationtechnologies).

To me it was a trade off between buying more wheels or reusing what I have.

Kevon Ritter likes this.
  15. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

One more factor is the material you are cutting. 10 hours in foam can't compare to 10 hours in hardwood. 10 hours in hardwood can't compare to 10 hours in aluminum. 10 hours in aluminum can't compare to 10 hours in steel.

AcBCDN likes this.