Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Next step.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Joseph Casalino, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Joseph Casalino

Builder

Hi,
    Once I had assembled the unit, I found that the lead screw had a bend in it. It has been replaced with a new one. I installed the Interface and got the gantry moving. I found that I need to calibrate the Interface. I put a mark on the rail and zeroed the 'X' axis moved a certain amount using the DRO on the interface. The distance moved was much farther than the DRO said it should be. How do I calibrate the interface? I see that the program has a way to do it. But, I will be using the interface to control the gantry's movement since the computer runs the CNC Mill. Do I setup all the calibrations in the openbuilds software and then download it into the Interface along with the G-Code?
    Thanks,
    Joe Casalino

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Joe, the calibration involves changing the GRBL settings which are saved in the BlackBox.
    Cheers
    Gary

sharmstr likes this.
  3. Joseph Casalino

Builder

Gary, thanks.
    Let me review this.With the openbuilds software on my computer, I use a USB cable to connect it to the Black Box, which is interfaces with the motor. I can then program the limit switches, calibrations, etc.into the Black box. From that point on, I use the interface, plugged into the black box, to control the motor. In this way, on my computer, I can have both the Openbuilds software on it, to reprogram the Black Box and CNC software to control the mill.
    Thanks,
    Joe

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

CONTROL does both that. See the Software section of docs.openbuilds.com for an overview of the CAD>CAM>CONTROL flow

You set it all up once. Any other HOST (aka CONTROL, Interface and many others) just streams along jobs after initial setup is done

5. Joseph Casalino

Builder

When I write G-Code to put into the interface, what extension do I use? My milling machine uses a '.exe' extension.
    Thanks,
    Joe

6. Peter Van Der Walt

7. Joseph Casalino

Builder

I used the .TXT and that worked perfectly. One question- when putting the 'F' speed for a program running in mm, how fast can the NEMA 23 motor go?
    Thanks,
    Joe

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Depends on what machine you have, whether you tuned your acceleration and max rates - and more importantly - what is appropriate to the job you are running.

9. Joseph Casalino

Builder

I am just using it to transport my part 360mm to the next drilling position.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Then you will have to trial-and-error to see where the limit is under this load