Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Newbie - couple of getting started questions!

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by djknight, Jul 23, 2015.

1. djknight

djknight New
    Builder

Hi All,

Just discovered this site yesterday as part of research for a project and it looks awesome! I think I may have found the perfect platform. I've got a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with?

Here's a basic overview of the build - I need to design a 1500mm long linear rail system. The idea is to have the ability to move an object on a platform along the rail at speeds of up to 300mm per second, but also make it responsive to rapid changes in speed and direction accurately. A microprocessor will randomise the speed and direction within a set of parameters. There will be a small cable carrier to get power and control to the object on the platform. One key thing: 1500mm is not crucial - I'd settle for 1000mm if this makes the whole thing more plausible.

So, a couple of initial questions before I start drawing it up:
    1. The C-Beam profile - can you join sections together to make it 1500mm long? If so, are there any strength issues etc?
    2. Lead screw would be ideal for control of the rapid changes in direction and speed, but I'm pretty sure it won't achieve the speeds necessary when the screw is that long. Unless you can brace it along it's length somehow to stop wobbling? Or, is a belt-driven system the only option?
    3. At those sorts of speeds, are there any necessary considerations to make on the limit switches? The platform won't be heavy (exact weight still TBC) but I want to make sure everything will hold up when it comes clattering in at those sorts of speeds.
    4. Is the Nema 23 the right motor for this application? It looks like it will be, but I've never used it so not sure.
    Thanks! Look forward to being part of a cool community!

Cheers,
    Dan