Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Newb question about .NGC file type

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by TraderMGP7, Dec 20, 2019.

1. TraderMGP7

Builder

Hi All,

I am quite new to the CNC world. I bought a cheap Chinese 3018 machine from amazon. I was able to get up and running really quickly and was happy with the machine (mostly carving black walnut and other hardwoods). However, I quickly outgrew it and have upgrade to a custom built 48" x 48" Open Builds Lead machine. I just purchased the BlackBox Controller and it should arrive in the next week.

While I wait for it to arrive I am preparing some gcode files. I am using a program called DMAP2GCODE for some projects I am working on. The output of the program is a .NGC file. Is this file type going to be compatible with my BlackBox Controller and the Open Builds CONTROL software? Will I be able to simply open the file up in the Open Builds CONTROL software and start carving?

I have little understanding of how different gcode file types work. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Mitch

Attached Files:

#1 TraderMGP7, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If its plain text gcode inside just rename it to .gcode

Gcode in the file also needs to be Grbl compatible of course

(PS: Include the files in questions like these using the attach button, better to have it and check, otherwise best we can offer is an educated guess)

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  3. TraderMGP7

Builder

Thanks so much! I wasn't able to upload the .NGC file. But I changed the file type to .txt and uploaded it. I'm not sure if changing the file type changed anything else?
    Let me know what you think. Thanks!

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

I have used dmap2gcode on my GRBL based machine, i cannot recall any issues with the gcode (the blackbox is GRBL based)

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Estlcam is the same way. I just open the .NGC file and save it as .NC and it works every time. Nothing gets changed.

6. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

Gcode is just text, just like any other programming language. The extension on the file simply does not change what is inside the file so you can just change it to whatever you need.