Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New to CNC but not computers looking for entry cnc for inlay and to learn!

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Archtop67, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

Awsome! Ill take a look!

2. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

now... I need bits too! what is a good all around bit to get started or bits that doesnt break the bank! ? I hate to break a 70$ bit learning how to use this thing! lol

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

SharkBits at Openbuildspartstore.com :)

4. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

ok checkin em out! lol can I get 1 bit or 2 instead of a pack of 6? id like to get this beast operational but apparently none of my routers work for this porter cable 690's and a laminate trim router I planned on using... do I have to make a custom mount to use any of these or maybe the 690 is just too large for this setup? because It seems im now going to also have to buy a router ... gonna be a blast once I work past all this newbie stuff! lol

5. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

HA! lol. I found them! for some reason when I would click on the bits it only showed me sets which I had to decided i was going to get a couple of specific ones that arent all in one set... anyway I found now there are individuals! ok thats better! ( it was sending me to page 4 or 5 of the bits and only was searching for those for some reason!) i manually changed to each page and BAM! all the bits one could ever desire! lol) also I went ahead and picked up the Dewalt from here too since its a direct fit! i can always adapt to other things! the more Im learning here just reading the posts and navigating as a newb, im learning so much! and just like playing golf, you dont really know what clubs you like or flex or size or whatever until you jump in and play a bit then you have to make some changes that suit your needs!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. Peter Van Der Walt

Except (; the gold store sold me all kinds of unnecessary and unproven stuff (; OpenBuilds you know tested and made sure to prove whatever you buy fits with the rest of the ecosystem (; for example, we love the Dewalt, and its proven to fit our mounts, work with our IoT relay, etc :)

7. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

yeah well Im in! lol I have no issues in general with dewalt except I didnt have any and i always try to consolidate what I have if possible... i did see some used others but then when I found that id need adapters i knew it was dewalt for me! lol

8. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

I love the way this is all set up! it is a learning curb without a reference and I guess its one we all need to go through! the more i read the more I understand... im already , ready to upgrade! lol as I become more aware, the more my needs are revealed! :D

9. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

using a nice tray to keep parts organized!

signal-2020-09-14-160900.jpeg

MaryD and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  10. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

well Im at a crossroads.... with my short short beam brace on back , the self tapping screws just drop in and there is nothing to catch the threads... so i cannot put the brace together with supplied parts... any solution? I flipped the tiny beam around and same thing one screw hole would tap by hand not need for drill and other is just fell right in... hmmm

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Not sure what you are referring to, a couple pictures might help

12. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

well its solved now lol however ill explain.. the self tapping screws used to screw into the end beams were too small i could seat them with my hands on further inspection i notices the some of them were threaded.. so i just used some of my M5 10mm i had left and had a couple of slightly larger screws i tapped in.. it was 6hrs in so i was exhausted and forgot to take pics lol. the 90deg attachments and end rectangular end plates used to mount the vertical frame to the Z axis .. i do have an end pic however! NOW to the Electronics!

Attached Files:

13. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

ok I do have a minor issue, one of the limit switch connectors is missing the other 2 are here... also a weird thing just happened when I was manually jogging the weel... is this maybe the motor since its not running and normal? It did it a few times then smoothed back out ... hmmm

Attached Files:

14. Peter Van Der Walt

http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home will be able to assist with missing items from your order

Never turn a motor by hand when its connected to a stepper driver (sounds like you didn't have it hooked up right?) . Motors turned become generators, kicking potentially devastating back-EMF into the stepper drivers I know that jog knob is a big pull, but it should really only be used in a situation where you cannot jog the motors, disconnect the motor, moving the axes by hand to resolve a stuck endmill for example - always a good warning to remembers

Its hard to see from the video, but disconnect the shaft coupler from the motor, spin the leadscrew and see if you can feel/hear where the noise is coming from, bearing not seated correctly, stop collar not tight against both ends, etc

15. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

great! It not connected yet to and power or electronics yet just was moving it out of position to get space to work on assembly and heard it! i filled out form too thanks for that info! also can I go ahead and if I get it all together and run any tests on it or do I need wait for a limit switch connector and wire then all up first? So far the minor thing have been addressed in an awsome manor thanks thanks thanks! cant wait to do more upgrades! lol

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Not really, you can jog to origin, setzero, without needing to home :)
    Just disable Homing and Hard Limits in Grbl Settings (there is a switch next to the machine profile that does that for you called "Limits Installed"

17. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

nice! im pluggin her in now and about to go through the software!

18. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

ok I have the masterpiece built! Had a wiring issue but sorted it out lol now its working! now have to learn software and how to limit travels and so on the default settings overshot the boundaries ! It wants to BREAK OUT! also my LED wiring is too short and when lowering Z axis it unplugged lol HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

#48 Archtop67, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  19. Peter Van Der Walt

Soft limits depend on having Homing set up, so only once your connectors arrive.

Have a read through the Grbl wiki github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki though it explains everything (configuration page explains this under the $20-$22 sections for example)

20. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

i understood that page thanks! however the software was a little vague... i tried to se it but immediately would get errors that it was triggered hard stop .. i took it off for now and went through rest of the setup and BAM Milled my first Hello World! i had a 1/4" 3 flute upcut whiteside bit I use on my router and it worked great but its too large... i didnt see anyplace where u select your bit in the software?? also i didnt see anypalce where it tells me what bit to use on these... i have a few endmills and other up and down cut but i think some are too large and ill order some smaller ones from here come on sharks! if I want to do peal and wood inlay what bits should i buy to get started.. this is very specific what my current needs are so would liek to get started on that then work on getting other bits when i rebuild this to a C-beam or upgrade to workerbee or something.. i can see the need to do that at some point... i guess i need about 30 x 19 for all id be doing but thats a but down the line no PUN intended lol

also is there any links on how to setup and create some 2D cutouts like if I were doing inlay routing the pockets and making the inlays? i

21. Peter Van Der Walt

Edit button next to each toolpath on the right under Toopaths
    Or when you create your own toolpaths initially.
    Openbuildspartstore.com > sharkbits > starter sets :)

Open file. Click vector. Add to new toolpath. Set parameters. Apply. Keep in mind OpenBuilds CAM is beginner orientated. For advanced stuff like Inlays, you want to check out openbuildspartstore.com/vectric

22. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

OH I SEE!! ok! I was seeing prices upwards of 2000 bucks for the software! I just noticed 2D cut! thats just right! baby steps! lol

23. Peter Van Der Walt

Just compare the feature sets, i don't think Cut2D has inlay (see VCarve Inlay | Vectric) but the cheapest VCarve should (Aspire is the expensive package but most people don't need it)

Products Compare Page | Vectric

24. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

ok ill look... i was just reading Vetrics website and its windows only so thats out for now..

25. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

I found that rough sound lol it WAS the jog knob lol I had it too tight to the lead screw ... the metal of the washer was gripping the end plate even though it was the smooth side lol i took off the jog knob and bam! sound went away... newbie issue lol i put it back on less tight... also one of the flexible couplers was tight agasint the Z axis end plate... just backing them a mm away solved the issues! no squeaking or vibrations! i already ran hello world and it worked flawless.. i have a few end mills but just a test run... my substrate was small so it only milled a portion of the artwork so i didnt post vid yet.. once I had the correct bits and nice plate Ill send a photo :D

26. Peter Van Der Walt

Mac user? Vmware Fusion or Parallels will do the job

27. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

yeah just more software I cant "buy" lol Just more third party installers controlling OS and too risky of a "grbl garble" on a $300 piece of wood lol what happened to the days we could buy something, go off into the woods and use it! bahahaha

28. Peter Van Der Walt

Maybe a craigslist pc for the same cash (;

29. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

well we will see.. we WILL see lol. I have a working knowledge of Fusion 360 and it works on my Mac lol My hand may be forced! lol

30. Peter Van Der Walt

Well, if you have Fusion you should be able to use that too (if you are not yet, i am sure someone was an inlay tutorial for fusion somewhere on YouTube)

At least within Fusion 360 personal use license changes (everybody wants your money lol)