Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New to building

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Rob Goodnight, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Rob Goodnight

Builder

Morning all;

I bought a solidoodle workbench a couple years ago. That thing has not been a success for me at all. I had been saving up to buy one of the big name printers for a bit; but I started thinking that I do not want to send it in for repairs if something gets broken or goes faulty.

So a long time ago; I learned to build my own desktop computers; learned a bit about assembling laptops. I figured if I can learn those; I should be able to pick up how to work on 3D printers.

So I was wondering if there are any resources and links you all have in building 3D printers. A sort of "how to..." type resource. I looked through the forums and couldn't find a thread like that. So forgive me if one exists.

I want to build my own large scale printer, dual extrusion, multi material capability. I would like auto leveling and heated bed.

I have seen the open builds; and many would be perfect for me. But even after that; I am not sure about assembly or about wiring diagrams. If there's an OS needed... or any of the steps during assembly.

Any resources and experience you have to share would be most welcome.

Thank you.

2. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

I'm not sure that there is a central 'how to' resource here for building a 3d printer. A lot of the members of the forum are tinkering with their own designs and haven't documented them in enough detail to easily reproduce if you don't already know what you are doing.

Of the designs I've seen here, one that is pretty well documented and has a bunch of people building their own variants is called the C-Bot. Take a look at the build thread here:

C-Bot

Or their discussion group here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/106707229610255461517

I've considered trying to build one myself if I ever get the time.

-D

3. Craig Anderson

Builder

Rob,
    I am a retired engineer, who is computer literate. A year ago I decided to build a 3d printer. I made a list of things I wanted based on what I had read. Print size, heated bed, internet capable, and a 32 bit controller.
    I chose the Voxel OX because it is tremendously strong and easily built. I could pick any print size as its an adjustable design.
    The biggest problem I faced is what controller to use. I finally decided on the Smoothie board as it is very flexible and easy to use.
    You need to list the items you want and then find a build that gives it to you. There are so many variations in things like hot ends, extruders, controllers, and printing surfaces, that you might spend some time on YouTube looking at "TOMs Videos". One thing you might also do is find a ready built machine that can do what you want and then build one that has the same capabilities.
    I have revised my machine several times already and am working on installing two color printing right now.
    Its a continuing project, but a lot of fun.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

Rick 2.0 likes this.