Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New to Build

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Brian Polin, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Brian Polin

Builder

Hello I am new to building a router! The mechanical end I understand, but the electronics that's a different story. I'm sure this has been asked before, but what electronics do I use to control the router! If I buy the PiBot kit is that all I need + the power supply? What controls the spindle speed or does it run full rpm all the time? Is there a complete kit other than the PiBot?
    Thank you for your input!
    Brian

2. Flodon

Flodon New
    Builder

I am also new to the page. I'm interested in building my own cnc router. I can find most parts but what about controllers and programs? Which work best with which?

3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I use GRBL Panel (Home · gerritv/Grbl-Panel Wiki · GitHub) as my control software. I have never tried any other because I set it up and it worked the first time and every time. That being said, others have had good experience with several other open source controllers and many people like Mach 3 which can be purchased here Mach3 - Newfangled Solutions but requires a computer with a serial port. If you choose to use one of the many free open source GRBL controllers, you should read (Configuring Grbl v0.9 · grbl/grbl Wiki · GitHub) this because it will help you understand how it works. I linked the configuring page of the Wiki because it is a glossary of the GRBL settings, but the whole thing has valuable information. There is a lot of good info in both the Controller Software and Controller Boards threads on this forum.

For controller I chose the Arduino board with the DQ542MA drivers. I started out with a CNC Shield and DRV8825 drivers that plug into it, but the DQ542MA drivers can handle both higher voltage and amperage which made my stepper motors happier. I wanted separate drivers instead of an all in one that way if one went bad, I could replace it easily.

#3 Giarc, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Flodon and Rick 2.0 like this.
  4. Anthony Bolgar

Anthony Bolgar Journeyman
    Builder

Just a FYI, grbl is now on version 1.1, much better than 0.9, and it supports Laser/CNCweb open source software. V4 of LW is almost ready to deploy with some awesome CAM functions for milling.

Joe Santarsiero likes this.
  5. Brian Polin

Builder

Giarc, thank you! I will use the links to try and figure this out!
    Brian