Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New to 3D & want to buy a printer

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Jay Beckham, May 10, 2015.

1. Jay Beckham

Builder

I am new to this. I am a model builder working in 1:48 scale in trains and ships. Need to make lots of small details. Was looking at the Folger RepRap Prusa I3 kit. Only found one series of postings about Folger and it appeared they may be problems with that brand. I had also looked at a couple in the $400-500 range on Amazon and the ones on MakerFarm.com. I need to stay under $500 if possible but being new to this I figured I should seek some advice and recommendations from those experienced in 3D printing. I do have mechanical, electronic, and computer skills but don't have the patience for a lemon or sub standard things.

Thanks so much.

Jay Beckham

[email protected]

2. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Well-Known
    Builder

Hi Jay,

Looking at the scale you want to work with, it seems you need lots of accuracy for those fine details. Not sure how much would a fused deposition printer help you here.
    I would suggest shopping around for a resin printer, but they definitely beat the 500 dollars mark.