Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by steelspinner, May 3, 2014.

1. steelspinner

Builder

Hi all,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Dave. I have been a lurker for a while on the forums here and finally decided to post. I am a machinist/designer/cnc programer by trade. I have designed and built several special duty cnc and hardware control systems over the years. After reading several of the threads and seeing some of the truly innovative builds on here I have to say that I am very impressed.

I would like to offer my knowledge in machining and control design to this group as a whole. I have seen a lot of confusion on here as to basics of machine tool technology, mostly dealing with cutting speeds/feeds, coolants and depths of cut(axial and radial).

I will post in active discussions where I can. If anyone has an specific questions, please ask. I may have an answer or can point you in the right direction to figure out your situation.

Dave

2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the group. :)

We would certainly welcome your contributions and the sharing of your knowledge and experience. :thumbsup:

Tweakie.

3. skrider

skrider New
    Builder

I think it would be great to start a beginners cheat sheet thread that covers the common hobbyist materials and typical cut depth, feed speed, recommended mill, etc. I realize that this varies some depending on the machine, but I'd imagine that there's a good rule of thumb for the hobbyist level machine that most of us are using.

I would imagine that you'd have a lot to offer on that subject!