Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New Interface Issue?

Discussion in 'Interfaces' started by Brent Lamarque, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Brent Lamarque

Builder

Good evening everyone,
    Just got done installing OB Blackbox Motion Controller and Interface on my MillrightCNC Mega V.
    I powered everything up for the first time and installed the firmware update. I believe I am now running V1.52.
    Once the update was done. I powered everything down and moved ut to my cnc and connected the stepper motors.
    Testing mobility, my Y2 motor was wired backwards, so I fixed that.
    As I continued testing, I started developing Interface issues where the Interface won't jog the machine, random alerts, random screens opening. I ran the self test and I'd say it passed 50% of the time mainly because it wouldn't recognize the button I was pressing.
    I then connected directly to my computer and used the software. The machine moved fine, recognized limit switches, homed fine.

Do I have an Interface issue?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Please contact the store via Support > new ticket for assistance

3. larosta

larosta New
    Builder

First, I have two Interface units connected to Blackboxes on two different machines and really appreciate the level of integration and ease of use that they provide. Since I first installed them I have had similar issues to the above with intermittent button response. Believing that I had a grounding or shielding problem I tried adding separate bonding wires between the power supply chassis, machine, and the cover assembly screws on the Interface. This did not improve the performance relative to the touch switch interface. I recently started using my free hand to touch the assembly screw heads or the decorative metallic bands on the Interface. The problem went away. I am now thinking that there may be an issue with my location in a dry Southwest climate causing issues with the capacitive touch sensor interface circuits. My touching the housing seems to have resolved the problem but perhaps the capacitive touch sensor circuitry might be looked into relative to this. My hunch is that in a more humid environment the issue may be less of a problem.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

That could indicate an Earthing problem yes. Using our Meanwell+PowerCase or a 3rd party PSU?

5. larosta

larosta New
    Builder

Meanwell 24vdc switcher and the Openbuilds power case assembly. Tried a linear regulated lab supply at one point, same symptoms.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Plase contact support.openbuilds.com > new ticket for assistance

7. larosta

larosta New
    Builder

I continued to have problems with what appeared to be electrical noise on my Interface control connected to the Blackbox. Whenever I placed my hand or fingers near the keypad the Interduce would tigger random events without even touching the keys. I tried two different Blackboxes, two different Interface units and several different power supplies including three different switching supplies from different manufacturers as well as a linear supply. I tried different power outlets and circuits in my shop an verified the grounding, polarity, and leakage currents of the circuits. The problem persisted.

I finally installed ferrite chokes/baluns on each end of the power cable between the 24VDC power supply and the Blackbox and a second set on each end of the cable between the Blackbox and the Interface unit. I have not experienced the "noise" problem since.

There are the ferrite baluns that I used:

Clip-on Ferrite Ring Core RFI EMI Noise Suppressor Cable Clip for 3mm/ 5mm/ 7mm/ 9mm/ 13mm Diameter Cable, Black
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZQZQ5BQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope that this simple fix will help others with similar issues.

- larosta

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.