Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New Guy in Kansas City

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by DeltaWolf, Jul 6, 2017.

1. DeltaWolf

DeltaWolf New
    Builder

Hey, so I am opening a company within the next 6 months to a year, and I will need to do some engraving on metal and polymer plastic. I love building things, I mean my company will be Gunsmithing. Anyway, would I be able to build something that will be able to do this? weather it be on steel, or aluminum alloy? If so where do I start?

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

What machining and what CNC experience do you have? Do you have any CAD/CAM experience? Steel might be out of the question unless you're able to invest in ridgid machine tools. Poly and aluminum aren't out of the realm of possibility with DIY equipment. With building, learning software, and process learning the road may be longer than convienient to your ambitions. Definitely doable eventually though.

Joe

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Just engraving steel or actually machining it?

4. DeltaWolf

DeltaWolf New
    Builder

I do have a little CAD experience, other than that not much. But I love learning new things and if that means it takes time then I am willing to put my time and energy into it. The good thing is the engraving isn't my main money maker for the company, but I want to be able to do it.

5. DeltaWolf

DeltaWolf New
    Builder

Just engraving steel, More of a AK-47 lower that people may want to engrave a logo on.

6. DeltaWolf

DeltaWolf New
    Builder