Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Nema 23 hightorque don´t turn

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by RicardoRocadas, May 12, 2017.

1. RicardoRocadas

Builder

Hi everyone, hope you are doing great!

I have finish my first ox cnc 1500x1500mm and wired it but i have problem with my y and x axis.
    It seams all is well wired, when turn each stepper with arduino + gshield off it lights on each axis.

The problem is when i turn on the power supply and plug the usb to pc, then i open the grbl interface, it only moves wright the Z axis, when i jog the X and Y axis i see the light of both on and hear the motors noise but they don´t move.

My setup is with arduino uno Rev 3 + gshield v5 running grbl
    Z axis - 1 nema 17
    X axis - 2 nema 23 hightorque (only one runing for test then i will wired)
    • Peak current is 3.0A/phase
    • 12" Leads (4 Wire Bi-polar)
    Y axis - 1 nema 23 hightorque - the same as X axis

I'm testing without the pulleys so the steppers don´t have any resistence to work now.

thank you.
    regards,
    Ricardo

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Have you tried adjusting the motor trim pots?

3. RicardoRocadas

Builder

Hello Joe

Yes i'have tried the trim pots, actualy when i tried i have stoped were the X and Y axis start to move but they move let's say 1/4 to one direction then stop then a little more then stop.
    I have tried from de 0 position to max value and return to the midle position more or less, because in this position they move but on a erronues way.

Also i have tried to adjust the power supply (24V 17A 400W ) Power supply to +/- 18 volts and try to adjust the pots then increase until 24v and then increase until 28v and the best result was with 24v.
    Do you think gshield can handle with this Nema 23 hightorque? since i have read that gshield will only put out 2,5 amp and Nema 23 hightorque are anounced with a peak current of 3.0amp / phase.

Can you help please.

Thank you for your attention.

4. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

Do you have the steps set on the driver AND steps/mm in you controller settings?

5. RicardoRocadas

Builder

Hi Kevon
    I have the steppers conected to gshield and grbl configured in mm steps/mm

I think i will reset arduino with all disconected and restart all over to try at least adjust Z axis that is runing ok.

Then will adjust the other axis because i think i will need to try to give less power and torque to this nema 23 hightorque to see if at least they run.

6. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

'make noise but do not move' usually indicates that they are trying to move way too fast.
    what are your max step rate settings?
    and, what are the acceleration settings?

7. RicardoRocadas

Builder

Hi David

I will be back with my grbl settings to see and possible corrections.

8. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

DRV8825 + NEMA23 345oz.in + 24VDC PSU = Not going to work.

Joe Santarsiero likes this.
  9. RicardoRocadas

Builder

Hi Ronald

It's really frustating this to me because this is my first build and i haves asked from V Slot Europe their opinion about changing the normal 23 nema steppers for this ones, they have replyed to me that there wasnt any problem and now i verify that i have ordered a OX Cnc kit with incompatible items between them.

But at least here in forum are people helping and in inventables they are trying ti help me.

I have wrote this for V Slot Europe since ladt tuesday and until know i have not receive any help reference or explanation...

10. Joe Santarsiero

Its been hinted at and tip toed around, but installing 3amp motors and 2amp drivers is short changing yourself. Personally, all of the post about issues with gshields, xpros, and TGs because of users pairing them with high current motors are getting a bit tiring(and it's not entirely their fault). Eliminate the headaches and get 4 DQ542MAs a 48V ps and be done with it.
    You can compliment that with an Apex later on if you want.

just my 2c

Joe

11. RicardoRocadas

Builder

Hi Joe

Since it's my first time build and i want to avoid losing more money do you think possible to attack drivers to arduino and conect them to this nemas 23 hightorque.

In other hand they could told me this ps and configuration wasn't enought for this steppers maybe. But ok i will correct this.

12. Joe Santarsiero

Yes. There's a schematic floating around here somewhere. Giarc uses this setup.

13. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I do use the DQ542MA drivers and have them attached to an Arduino Uno. They work great. Kyo has a good resource for wiring them. DQ542MA Wiring Methods

14. RicardoRocadas

Builder

Hi Giarc

Thanks.
    So i conclude that's impossible to work with nema 23's, or at least with full potential, with this configuration just because gshield doesn´t give them enought power.
    Since this is my first build, i have learned a lot until now in past few days and i'm thankfull to you who help me to find out this and to do the adjustmens.

I will be back and make a post of my final setup and images.
    Here are some images like it is now.
    Nema23hightorque342oz.jpg
    BOX2.jpg

Attached Files:

#14 RicardoRocadas, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017