Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Nema 17 Belt and Pinion on C-Beam XL Gantry Plate

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by KramE, Feb 7, 2021.

1. KramE

KramE New
    Builder

Hello all,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see a stock way to mount a Nema 17 onto a C-Beam XL gantry plate to utilize the belt and pinion design.

Is there any reason why I can't do something like this and just drill out the 4 extra holes?

upload_2021-2-7_15-55-58.png

upload_2021-2-7_15-57-9.png

Would the two V wheels provide sufficient belt tension angle/deflection (no idea what the right word is here) to keep the belt on the pully? Can I or should I add idlers here?

upload_2021-2-7_15-59-56.png

Or is there some obvious reason that I'm overlooking that would cause this idea to be doomed to failure?

Thanks!

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No reason it won’t work. This plate is just something that was created as the group here was moving away from belts. But again, there’s no reason it won’t work. As you note though it is a good idea to increase the contact area between the belt and pulley perimeter as much as possible. You can go with the extra pair of idler wheels as shown or you might even consider putting just a single wheel in the existing center hole and running the belt under and then up and over.

KramE likes this.
  3. KramE

KramE New
    Builder

Thanks! I'm planning on putting another vslot wheel in the middle so I'll have to see if idlers would even fit