Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Need help with a Seeduino/gshield v5 combo PLEASE....

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Rich C, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Rich C

Rich C New
    Builder

Trying to get my new OX 750x1500mm cnc router build going, but I am having no luck with stepper movement. I found a (default?) grbl file (that was hex I believe) and followed instructions to load it. I power up my boards and the seeduino lights up, and the gshield lights up with its blue "power on" light. connect with grbl Control and I get the default settings list (just as I should). If I try to move a stepper using the arrow keys, I get an "alarm" and "grbl lock" error. I unlock, and enter G01 F200 (which is supposed to remove the feed rate error) and try again, I get zero movement. I notice that I get no green lights on the gshield when I click an arrow but the command window does show the movement command. I am trying to find someone, or someplace online, that has a working copy of the grbl file that I can modify/upload using my grbl IDE software. The only file I could find is a default hex file. I don't know a thing about hex files.
    Here is my system:
    OX 750x1500mm
    Seeduino (using 5v)/gshield v5 (step jumpers all removed) boards
    grbl Controller v 0.9
    x, y, and z axis are all NEMA23's
    z-axis is 8mm threaded rod from OpenBuilds
    limiting switches are not being used yet (but will incorporate once I get things operational)
    GT3 timing belt from OpenBuilds
    pulleys are 20t from Open Builds
    PS 24v

I know this is long winded, but I am really trying to be thorough.

All help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone would be willing to live talk me thru this, send me a message or convo and I will send my phone#

I will identify in this thread if/when I get everything working....
    Thanks
    Rich

2. Rich C

Rich C New
    Builder

Well, I posted in the OX Discussion area (pg45 bottom) a longer talk of what I am doing and such. But since I posted this thread here, I will comment and say that I am going with the Toad4 board and EasyCNC software. You can read my main discussion and see the website link for EasyCNC and Toad4 here: http://www.openbuilds.com/threads/openbuilds-ox-cnc-machine.134/page-45

Rich

3. Rich C

Rich C New
    Builder

OK, well.....Since I am waiting for my TOAD4 pcb's and electronic components to arrive, I figure I would continue to mess with the Gshield/Seeduino combo. I reflashed grbl v0.9 onto the Seeduino. Validated all of my voltages (all were fine), and removed my motor wires to try to run a board check. Started GRBL Controller and connected. got the version and settings (just like before), loaded a test file (the "Hello World" example file) and hit begin. In the coding window all looked as it should, with the file being cut line by line...etc., however, no green axis lights. No alarms anymore either, which is a good thing, but no green axis lights. Looking at the board, I only have the blue power-on light lit. No green lights at all. File is still being "cut" on the screen.

Powered down everything, unplugged the Seeduino from the computer, and reattached the stepper wires. Fired everything back up and retried the above process. Same outcome....blue power light, "cut" being performed in the code window, but no green lights and no stepper movement.

reset the GRBL Controller and gave it a G0x1000 entry and attempted to adjust my axis pots (just to see if that might be an issue.....nope, nothing. I am truly at a loss here. Beginning to wonder if I might have a bad gshield board....

4. oldfox

oldfox New
    Builder

Hey Rich,

#1. Depending on how grbl is configured, you need Ground or +5V input to the limit switch inputs on the Seeeduino to allow the motors to run. Get it backwards and it will look like that the carriages have run into the limit switches and disabled the motors. Just dummy in the correct input if you don't have the actual switches installed yet. Or just hang a switch off of the inputs and trip by hand. (be careful and run slow)

#2. It is common for the chip type controllers to need the motors (or at least a load in place of a motor on both windings) connected. If not, then the internal sense circuitry in the chip will try to raise the current to make the motors run. Since there is no load there, the controller will send the current through the roof and let the smoke out of the chips. Bye-bye Gshield.

I hope you left out some details that would cause all of the above to not apply.

I will only use separate motor driver circuits like Pololu for the exact reason from #2 above. A new driver carrier is a whole lot cheaper than a new controller board.

Hang in there and good luck on your project.

-Chris-

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is."