Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Need advice on moving from Mach3 to GRBL

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Barry Danks, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Barry Danks

Barry Danks Well-Known
    Builder

Hey fellow cncer's
    Ive been using Mach3, G540 controllers, Vectric Cut software for years. Its getting more difficult to find and more $$ mobo's with legacy ports, yeah I could add cards but why. How big of learning curve is it to make the swap to GRBL and compatible cam software or will the Vectric software still work?

Thankx

#1 Barry Danks, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

While I have never used Vectric software. Inventables does offer a grbl post for it. Hopefully someone who has used it can chime in on compatibility. If you already have the g540 from a past setup it will work just fine with grbl 1.1 loaded on a uno to give you usb connectivity :thumbsup:

#2 Kyo, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  3. Barry Danks

Barry Danks Well-Known
    Builder

New build all sorts of newer computers but no parallel port. Trying to get away from 1990's technology

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You will need to spend some time trying different GUI programs. GRBL does the control end in the Arduino but the PC needs to run a GUI that you like.

I recommend running the latest version of GRBL, v1.1, but this means that not all GUI's support it.
    So far I know of
    UGS
    GRBL-Panel
    Candle
    bCNC

If you want to run Linux on the PC, then UGS and bCNC will do that just fine, otherwise all will run on Windows. Even Windows 10.

5. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

I use Cut2D with GRBL controllers and it works like a charm so I'm sure that every other Vectric software will work as well. Just select GRBL as the post-processor. For most day to day tasks, I use GRBL-Panel and that is what I'd recommend. Configuring GRBL is probably going to be the only real difference and you only have to do that once.

-D

Kyo likes this.
  6. Barry Danks

Barry Danks Well-Known
    Builder

Lucky I have you guys to help haha