Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

My First CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by andy-may, May 24, 2016.

1. andy-may

andy-may Well-Known
    Builder

andy-may published a new build:

Read more about this build...

Tom Allen and Moag like this.
  2. Moag

Moag Master
    Staff Member Resident Builder Builder

G'Day Andy and welcome sounds like you have the right attitude mate. "If you can imagine it, you can create it". I think you might like it here and are looking forward to what you come up with.:)
    May the imagination stay with you.
    Moag

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Failures???? There are no failures, just good reasons to try something another way. ;)

Kyo likes this.
  4. andy-may

andy-may Well-Known
    Builder

Alright - less than perfect successes. I aim to achieve 100% success.:D

5. andy-may

andy-may Well-Known
    Builder

As an AutoCAD user, how am I able to upload dxf or dwg files? The system will not let me.:(

6. Moag

Moag Master
    Staff Member Resident Builder Builder

Don't know if I can help you there Andy. I'm a Fusion 360 user and not familiar with AutoCAD. All I can suggest is to take a screen shot and upload that. Someone else might know.

7. snokid

snokid Master

I think you are missing a step, you don't upload dxf files to the controller, you have to convert them to g-code then the controller does the rest.
    Bob

8. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

This would be a great entry for the new "My First Build" contest. You should enter!

* CONTESTS * Win Cool Stuff!

#CONTEST #shamelessplug

Joe Santarsiero likes this.
  9. Tracy Ranson

Tracy Ranson Journeyman
    Builder

Hello, The thing that you call a break out board, isn't that a 4 axis usb controller that does not require drivers because it already is a driver? The reason I ask is I am considering purchasing one of those controllers for my wife's machine and I was wondering how it is working for you. Also, what software are you using to operate the device? Are you using mach3?

Tom Allen likes this.
  10. andy-may

andy-may Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the message, I have only just started my build and taking things one at a time. I am using a USB CNC 4 Axis Controller Interface Board with 3 Single Axis TB6600 boards. I am not sure about drivers yet but from what I have gathered it is a Chinese clone of the PlanetCNC controller. It is driven by a PIC chip that I assume has been programmed as necessary, so I hope this answers your question.
    When I have finished the build I am thinking of using EMC2 as the software. If you are thinking of Mach 3 it may be worthwhile considering Mach 4 as I believe it supports USB ports.
    To date, I have used the board to run one stepper by using the onboard jog control so I am now going to make a remote control (using my 3D printer) that will control the axis jog direction and speed together with the obligatory "Oh sh*t" stop button.
    As the unit will be in a metal case, I am adding external LEDs to indicate pulses to the TB6600 boards.
    My build is a voyage of discovery for me and I hope I have given you enough information and welcome any suggestions.

11. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict

What type of machine, control software, and motors?

12. andy-may

andy-may Well-Known
    Builder

Hi,
    I have yet to decide the type of machine, whether C beam, OX or whatever, I intend to make. All have their advantages and disadvantages. Software is another minefield, but I am tending towards EMC2 and running it on a laptop using Linux. The motors I have for the final build are Nema 23s rated at 2.8A, power 175oz (12.6kgf.cm).
    I am currently concentrating on the electronics side of the build with the associated testing. This will be followed by testing the software on a 3 axis rig (that is after I have learnt how to use it properly!)