Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

My first build

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by CapnFailBoat, Oct 10, 2015.

1. CapnFailBoat

Builder

Earlier this summer I made a post asking about controllers and drivers, and now after some research and sketching I think I have an idea on what i'm going to be doing for the mechanicals.

I plan on keeping it mostly by the book with a roughly 500mm x 1000mm work area with the major axi's moving along c-beam lead screw actuators. I'm fairly confident about most of the design so far but there was one area I was hoping to get some feedback on.

For the y-axis I was going to use 2 c-beam actuators connected to a "bridge" for the x and z actuators. But I was concerned about having to slave 2 steppers and the associated costs. So I came up with the idea of using a closed loop gt2 belt being connected to a single nema 23 stepper, the two y actuators, and a scissor type of tensioner that would keep the belt around at least half of the driving pulley. Pretty similar to how a serpentine belt on a car would work.

I assumed that since the tensioner is acting on both sides of the driving pulley, that quick direction reversals wouldn't be a problem.

I would love any feedback on this idea, constructive or otherwise.

Fusion360 has been a bit rough on the assembly process for me so I don't have anything besides a few hand sketches at the moment but that's my next step to get final dimensions and part counts.

#1 CapnFailBoat, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015