Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Multiple stacked machines

Discussion in '3D printers' started by John S, Aug 24, 2016.

1. John S

John S New
    Builder

I want to start off and say **Newb Alert**. I am just now getting the hang of my not-so-very-accurate-assembly-manual-included tevo tarantula as my first 3D Printer.

I have wanted to have several printers and from what I am seeing building them (based on modified versions here and on repraps site) is the way to go. I am working with limited space in my apartment and really just wanted some opinions. I am a huge tech nerd and work with rackmount servers and though "hmm, why can't I do a rackmount of printers?"

Now that some of the background is out of the way my question is this: What are your opinions on simply getting some 20-4040 aluminum frames (say 1500mm) and building a few small printers one on top the other(my needs are small so they don't have to be super tall ones)? I plan to do a bowden setup using the diamond extruder (3 color mixing print head). would the printers all moving cause extra, even too much vibrations? If so would maybe a wall and floor bracket help mitigate that? I am also a programmer so I can make plugins for repetier to allow for multi-printer jobs and such and know what boards and drivers to use so I am good there.

#1 John S, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. eddiejr

eddiejr New
    Builder

Great idea! I have a bunch of old D.E.C. mid-sized 19" racks with round holes that I replaced with Compaq ones that have square ones. The DEC ones are built really well. Maybe if I turn one sideways, it might make a great CNC table?

I think someone posted recently with a similar idea about making something with his rack..

3. John S

John S New
    Builder

Thanks! I think your on to something there... these could be pretty versatile by combining not just 3D printers but also mini cnc tables, laser cutters, etc. As long as they don't shake each other to death lol. I plan to use both brackets and angle corners supports for the frame as an overkill/double protection measure.