Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Mouse Displacement and 3D Printer

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by TheHunch, Sep 22, 2021.

1. TheHunch

TheHunch New
    Builder

Hello all, I am very new here. I am entering a competition in regards to drawing tools. I have an idea that I write a program that will record my mouse movements while I am working on the computer(doesn’t matter what I am doing). Those coordinates are then sent to my 3D printer and it will print these coordinates on a 2D plane (using one of those 3D printed pen holders). I would like it to do this in real time if possible.

I assume I will use python for recording the mouse movements, then Gcode for the printer. Can anyone offer some advice for me on the process/codes/programs I would have to take/utilize to accomplish this task?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Good luck! How do you eat an elephant? Tiny bites at a time. Same here, break down your idea into individual bits, and hit Stackoverflow for code examples :)

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

your code will need to sit some where in the mouse processing chain so that it can capture all movements but also pass them along to the rest of the software that is running.
    Google will find an example but I doubt it can be done in Python, this is more of a C++ kind of device driver thing.

4. TheHunch

TheHunch New
    Builder

Ah I see. So the script will record the mouse movements in real-time and process that into the program that will translate it into gcode and send it to the printer. My research starts today, wish me luck. and of course any ideas are welcome!

checking out open source C++ mouse recording tools.