Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Motor connections

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Dale Y, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Dale Y

Dale Y New
    Builder

Ok, now to figure out motor connections. I am building a 1000x1500 OX design router. Now none of the motor I have seen have wires long enough. I was thinking of making a modular setup putting RJ45 male ends on the motors and RJ45 female plugs wired back to the controller board. Anybody else gone this route?

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I just soldered longer shielded wires on my motor wires for my 1500x850mm, but I do not see a reason why it wouldn't work. I am just cheap.:thumbsup:

3. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I don't think I would use rj45 connectors for this. It might be out of the current rating for them. The wire gage for rj45 is small too. I think it's 24awg. Aviation connectors work well and aren't too pricy.

Joe

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Ooops! In my mind I got the RJ45 confused with something else. Good catch. As I said, I soldered a longer length of 18 gauge stranded shielded wire on to the motor wires and then I did as Joe said and I used aviation connectors at the control box. I used these: Amazon.com: 5 x Panel Mounting 16mm Dia Screw 4Pin Metal Aviation Connectors Plugs by Gino: Electronics but if you need faster delivery, these appear to be the same: Amazon.com: 5 x AC400V 5 A 4 Pin 16mm Thread Aviation Circular Plug Male Connector: Electronics

I used the four pin connectors and used one per motor. For limit/homing switches, I put the X and Y on one connector and the Z and Z probe on another. They work great.

5. Joe Santarsiero

I used 5pin at the control panel and 4pin at the motor.

6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Was the 5th pin for grounding the shielding? I wish I would have thought of it at the time. I guess I could get a few more.

Joe Santarsiero likes this.
  7. Joe Santarsiero

Yeah. To terminate it in the cab. I didn't think of it initially either and reordered. Then I realized I should've done the same for limits. Even after installing them I still haven't grounded them yet. Another item on the forever growing to-do list..

Giarc likes this.