Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

More Black box x32 WiFi issues

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Johnskis, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Johnskis

Johnskis New
    Builder

So I’ve searched the forums and tried all of the other posts regarding this issue and still have not been able to find a solution to the problem. When I try to configure my WiFi on my black box controller it does not save the settings it does not produce an error and when I reload my black box has reverted back to having no saved settings even though it was previously setup for a 1010lead. I’ve made sure there are no funky characters present and when I click save and come back there is nothing present in the ssid or psk box. I’ve attempted changing the gateway up and still had not luck, I have the touch control as well and it also shows no WiFi. Seems for the cost the documentation on this stuff would be much better for basic setup. Never had these issues with cheap grbl controllers. What’s the deal open builds?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Have you updated the firmware first? docs:blackbox-x32:firmware [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Setting up wifi is covered by docs:blackbox-x32:wifi_setup [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Interface wifi setup: docs:interface:wifi-setup [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Also making sure you have Firmware V1.57 on Interface, if not, please update docs:interface:firmware-update-control [OpenBuilds Documentation]

If the above is done, and neither Interface nor BlackBox can connect to your network, it would appear to be a network problem on your end. Make sure you have a 2.4ghz 802.11b/g/n network, with working DHCP

David the swarfer likes this.
  3. Johnskis

Johnskis New
    Builder

Yes all of these steps have been followed. I followed the WiFi setup several times and each time the up reverts to 0.0.0.0 with no info saved in the ssid or psk box after multiple attempts to save. When I flash it everything goes through without a hitch it resets then I hit the reset but and check with $I and get the same result. Tried reflashing and received the “place the controller in boot loader mode error” had it connected briefly until it updated now it doesn’t save the settings at all. I don’t even have the interface connected at the moment I’m just trying to get the black box working first. One step at a time. It’s a 2.4 ghz network as I set the specific network to 2.4 just for this device. And I’ve connected my other controller to the same network without the issues I’m having with this unit. Using a cheaper grbl controller. I’ll go back through again and see if I missed something but compared to every other grbl setup I’ve completed this does not seem to be working as designed.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Can guarantee you it normally works (always keep the total userbase in mind, if it didn't work by design, you'd have hundreds of users on here complaining until it was fixed already. We'll figure out what your specific issue is shortly... First check - as you mentioned lack of docs, was pointing you at the docs to make sure some standard setup step wasn't missed. Onwards with the Troubleshooting... )

Post the output of
    1) grbl settings backup (from Grbl Settings tab)
    2) log showing output of a $I command (Serial Terminal > Send $I > select and copy log
    3) screenshot of CONTROL on the Troubleshooting tab

Do try Interface Wifi again too, if both still can't connect, we can assume its network instead and spend our effort there. If Interface connects for example, but grblHAL doesn't we can look closer at it. Elimination / pattern identification by setting up both.

Don't check grbl settings for IP/status: check the $I output as advised in the instructions. If you want to see if the SSID and PSK was sent, review the Log right after saving, all Comms are logged

If it fails to connect ($I doesn't show its connected) make sure you were following the 3rd bullet point below the screenshot in the docs

And then check $I about a minute after it booted up fresh. See if it got an IP from your network then.

Note Wifi is entirely optional and a USB cable is way simpler (and main recommended method)
    Its a fun gimmick / solves issues where a long USB cable would cause EMI issues - but if you just want to use it, i wouldn't even bother. Particularly as you have an Interface, you'd never use Wifi /WebUI if you have the way nicer to use Interface. You paid for the nicer option already...
    Wifi isn't stopping you from using your machine

David the swarfer likes this.