Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Mission Statement

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by delamite, May 5, 2017.

1. delamite

delamite New
    Builder

So glad I found this site.

My intent is to build an XY laser cutter, for Balsa and hobby ply's. While many questions are arising I have a couple that need addressing to get started.

First off, I am divided on using belt or ball screw linear way provided by this site. Both are nice, compact and efficient solutions.

Second, how much laser is needed to cut :
    Balsa wood -
    1/8" hobby ply -
    1/4" hobby ply -

Was hoping that a Blue laser ~ 4-6 watts would be sufficient to handle this work, from an economical standpoint. Surely some are already doing what my intentions are and have some advise from experience.

2. Anthony Bolgar

Anthony Bolgar Journeyman
    Builder

A diode lase will not cut the plywoods . It will cut the balsa with multiple passes. Your best option is to build or buy a 40W - 60W CO2 laser, there are a couple of good designs here on Openbuilds, as well, a 40W laser can be purchased for around $400 (but expect to do some upgrades to really use it well). Check ouyt the google+ communities https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/118113483589382049502 and https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/115879488566665599508. There is a ton of info on those sites. Good luck in your endeavors.

3. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

I agree with Anthony, While a diode laser can do the balsa ( and forced to do 1/8 hardi board / plywood ) I do not see 1/4" happening with a reasonable cut time. Check out @Peter Van Der Walt 's 40watt opensource laser Freeburn-2 I am surprised more people do not build one it is a well thought out build.

This is 1/8" HardiBoard. Cut using Laserweb 4 and a 2-Watt Blue diode laser from J-tech. This cut required 104 passes at 75% power and a very slow speed..
    [​IMG]

#3 Kyo, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Anthony Bolgar likes this.