Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

MiniMill with dual y-axis

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Michael Dwyer, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Michael Dwyer

Builder

I have been thinking about modifications and expansion of my MiniMill and scanning others on the builds site. I want significantly more travel from my x-axis and realize I would need more support to accomplish it. After noticing Stargeezers Vertimill build, I now know I need dual y-axis. However, I'd rather not use a stepper motor on each. I want to preserve the 4th axis in the event GRBL and the xPRO support an independent 4th axis in the future.

What about a belt drive for the second y-axis? Can it be done without any backlash problems? Where do I find a grooved belt with my dimensions? Is there a simple way to splice belt if purchased from OpenBuilds?

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

As long as your Y-axis drive stays inline with the bit above you really don't need another drive. It would be simpler just to add outriggers. Concept below shows two but you really only need one to stabilize the X-axis.

outriggers.jpg

Concept is shown using mini-V plate which will need to be shaved down to the same thickness as the C-Beam XL plate to keep the X-axis level. Note: don't over tighten the eccentric nuts. Outriggers should glide freely and easily.

Attached Files:

MaryD likes this.
  3. Michael Dwyer

Builder

Ok then! Now you have my engineer's mind really going places. All I needed was a starting point.
    I'm thinking of an extra wide gantry plate instead of 3 separate plates. I'll start something in Fusion 360 and let you know how it turns out.

4. Michael Dwyer

Builder

Well, after thinking about this for a little while I'm back to dual y-axis. My plan is to go a full 1m wide on the x-axis and I think the dual y-axis will be better suited to move such a long x-axis. So, I'm curious about the belt drive again rather than using two stepper motors. Can it be done without any backlash problems? Where do I find a grooved belt with my dimensions? Is there a simple way to splice belt if purchased from OpenBuilds?

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

If you begin and end the drive belts at the drive plate you won't need to splice them.

Drive Belts.jpg

MaryD likes this.
  6. Michael Dwyer

Builder

I think you misunderstand me. I want dual y-axis for my modified MiniMill, where one of the two is driven by a motor and the other is driven by a belt off of the first.

7. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

As there are any of a number of ways to power dual drive systems with belts it's generally best to describe what you specifically have in mind to begin with. It saves time on everyone's part. If you are referring to a dual screw drive system with an interconnecting belt and pulleys, you'll find pretty much any belt you could possibly want at SDP/SI.

8. Michael Dwyer

Builder

I was referring to dual y-axis with lead screws for both. A motor would drive one with a belt between the motor driven lead screw and the other parallel lead screw.
    I'll take a look at the SDP/SI site.