Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Minimill spoil board and workpiece hold-downs?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Techvette, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Techvette

Techvette New
    Builder

My shiny new OB Minimill is all wired up and moving. I have to say, I love the xPro board and EstlCAM. (Aside from the fact that EstlCAM won't work over bluetooth so I still need an eight-foot USB cable to connect my PC to the mill.)

Questions:

1. What material are y'all using for the spoil board?
    2. What dimensions should the spoil board be in order to get the maximum usable area?
    3. How are you securing the workpiece to the spoil board?

Also, to the OB team: it'd be nice if the carriage plates were slightly thicker, or the end plates slightly shorter. That would allow the spoil board to move over the end plates. As it is, I think I'll make one board the size of the X-axis carriage plate, and another, larger one to sit on top of that.

Cheers

2. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

I actually did just that. https://openbuilds.com/threads/openbuilds-minimill.9301/page-5#post-60083

(I used screws to hold aluminum, double sided tape to hold wood.)

3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

It is common for people to raise the permanent base board with spacers, temporarily fit the waistboard to that, then drill countersunk holes to take bolts into the baseboard. Your next job would be to make a nice little program to drill holes, at whatever distance you prefer, to accept Tee nut inserts from beneath. Then use clamps, of which there are many different types available.

Techvette likes this.
  4. Techvette

Techvette New
    Builder

Cool - thanks for the link.

What feeds & speeds are you using for cutting AL? I need to cut some parts from 1/2" plate. Using the Bosch router at the moment; but I have a crappy, much-slower spindle sitting here that may work better. (But, of course, I'll need to make a mount for it that's compatible with the Z plate.)

5. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

With my Makita at about 12000 rpm and a 3/32" 2-flute bit, I use about 760 mm/min (a bit less for ramping).

PatrickNeff and Techvette like this.