Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Minimill : Bosch router mounting stability

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Techvette, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Techvette

Techvette New
    Builder

When cutting just about anything - plywood, in this case - I can see the Colt router moving in the mount. I have it torqued down as much as I think is acceptable (without stripping the threads).

Any suggestion on stabilizing it? I have the router positioned so that the clamp sits just below the rubber handle area, pretty much as low as the router can go without the soft-rubbery bits sitting interfering with the clamp. There's ~3mm-5mm space between the front of the clamp and the bit that attaches to the Z plate.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Choke up on it a bit. You want the distance from the end of the bit to the mount as short as possible as this minimizes leverage on the assembly. The best reference would be the in the Mini-mill photos.

3. Techvette

Techvette New
    Builder

Thanks for a) the help - I'll give it a shot this evening, and b) for introducing me to the phrase "Choke up on it" in a sense that does not involve a lot of heavy drinking. :)

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Can you add a second mount? I have seen some people do this.