Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Mini lathe CNC Conversion - Work in progress

Discussion in 'CNC Lathes' started by Justinat, May 27, 2014.

1. Justinat

Justinat Well-Known
    Builder

2. bobt

bobt Veteran
    Builder

OK justinat what is the base machine (MFG, Model and such) because it look alot like an older SIEG C3. I was just wondering what changes might have to be done to convert one of the standard mini lathes such as this.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe some small changes will make it useful.

Bob

3. Justinat

Justinat Well-Known
    Builder

Its a Clarke 12in bed. Basically the same as your pic there are a bunch of companies that brand these lathes. Mine was purchased a few years ago from tractor supply.

I started off with a 1605 ball screw and mounts ( got them from automation technology but they are available from a bunch of sources ) for the carriage

The cross slide was a little more challenging as a small ballscrew setup is pricey so I decided to go with acme lead screw single start 3/8 righthand( From McMaster ) and a Delran zero backlash Nut ( From Dumpster CNC ) - At this stage I'm still working out the bearing setup for the Leadscrew

The electronics I went with a Gecko G540 and 381 oz stepper motors a index pulse board and Variable speed control ( From cnc4pc.com )

my goal is to have a machine that's capable of making small parts and treading.

the one down side I see with these machines is they were never intended to be more than a hobbyists machine and stock they have a very rough build quality. I had this one sitting around so I thought it would be a good learning experience.

Attached Files:

Mark Carew likes this.
  4. TadB

TadB Well-Known
    Builder

I have actually seen a conversion kit for the harbor freight lathe. O am currently in the planning stage of taking a jet mini wood lathe and automating it. So look forward to seeing more of your build.

5. stargeezer

stargeezer Veteran
    Builder

Hi. I was wondering if there's been any progress? I'm wanting to build a CNC lathe to go with the rest of my automated shop and I'm looking for direction and perhaps a bit of inspiration too.

I keep debating if I should follow the path you are following with a "doner" lathe of some sort, or just start from scratch building the whole thing. I should add that I'm not looking for a big lathe either, one in the 12-16" length would work fine as long as the spindle is hollow.

You fan,
    Larry

6. stargeezer

stargeezer Veteran
    Builder

Thanks Justintime, I had looked at the mini at Harbor Freight and assumed that was the red one pictured above. As I think you surmised, I'm looking for 3/4-1" bore through the chuck to accommodate threaded rod and other CNC project parts. We live between Chicago and St. Louis (exactly 150 miles each way), both of which have a lot of small machine shops. I'm watching ebay and craigslist for a viable donner machine - not too big, not too small, just right. :)

7. winand

winand Veteran
    Builder

This is an interesting build!
    Keep us informed please :thumbsup:

8. Thomas Crawford

Builder

So what ever happened with this ??? o_O