Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Metal anti backlash nut for C beam?

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Josh Hulgan, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Josh Hulgan

Builder

Just got my c setup plates and wheels in. But unfortunately I the openbuilds anti backlast nut won't fit my TR8*2 lead screw. I am trying to find a metal version or even just a way I can not have it riding through a plastic nut. Does anyone have a solution?

Alternately, I would take a Tr8 2 plastic anti back lash nut. But I can't find one state to order.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

3. Josh Hulgan

Builder

Im having a real hard time finding one of these :( I found ONE on aliexpress. But not locally. I really want to stick with the d2 style if at all possible. I ordered two off amazon that were cheap with vague descriptions and nope. Just wasted my cash :( So if i retap will that create too much friction or mess them up? But still that tap is from china. Man im bummed i was hoping to get this thing going tonight. I can rig it but **** :(

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

You can't re-tap the existing nut blocks as that will do little more than trash the threads that are already there. You will need to start over with a new block of Delrin, hdpe, or ptfe. If you have some extra threaded rod it is fairly easy to make a tap which is adequate for cutting plastic threads. There is a fairly simple explanation somewhere on the forum if you can find it. If not there is a reasonable explanation on instructables Make an Acme Tap but it looks to be a bit more work.

Josh Hulgan likes this.
  5. Josh Hulgan

Builder

Thanks! I found ONE place on alibaba that had an 8*2. I guess people just aint doing this. But its on the way and my OCD is taking over.