Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Mesh Router for the developing world

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by We-connected, Jul 1, 2016.

?

Are there open source routers that meets the constraints of the developing world?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. We-connected

Builder

I am looking for an open build for a mesh router that will connect schools and hospitals in the developing world. I've seen a lot of great software like pfsense. I would like something that marries open hardware and open software and take into consideration the limitations of the developing world.

1. Electricity challenges - a device that's' low power that can easily plugin in to a low cost solar installation setup. A 12hr battery backup. I am thinking 12hr sun light can run through the solar panel and 12hr night can run through the battery setup.

2. Connectivity - as much people as possible if possible at 1GB/s. Low end PFsense device claims 3.9million connected devices. Speed not clear.

3. Range - If we can get a wireless range of 1 mile that would be great. I am sure there maybe some challenges around that but we can talk about what's possible. Perhaps we can take advantage of TV White Space or LTE.

4. Cost - I would like this device to be priced at $100. We can talk about the components that can get us there.

This is a great challenge. I am looking for a manufacturer or someone who is up to the challenge to help me build. If there's already something in the market out there please let me know. Thanks

2. TerryOx

TerryOx Well-Known
    Builder

wrong kind of router