Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Meltdown!

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by leversole, Dec 11, 2015.

1. leversole

leversole New
    Builder

Opinions ar sought, but I believe I just found out what happens when the TinyG over heats! Did not seem like I was loading it up, but it ran the first job (on the left), had ten or fifteen minutes idle, then started the second job, about 15 minutes into the first cut and she went ape-****! The TinyG is out in the open, in a room I have to heat, would not have thought it would get hot?!? Anyone have any ides? As you can see, it didnt just loose steps, it took off on its own! I WILL be putting a fan on it. I sure am learning a lot! I have ruined more peices than I have been successful on, but it IS fun, and thats what counts!
    IMG_2774.JPG IMG_2777.JPG

2. Fred Quarles

Fred Quarles Well-Known
    Builder

I run a TinyG also and have also been concerned if it will over head on big jobs. I start a BIG job last night, 500,000 lines of G-Code, and it has run about 10.5 hours of actual run time so far. It had about 20 min cool down time between sections. I been monitoring it with a laser temperature gun and right now after 55 min of continuous run time the TinyG measures 140F and the steppers are between 90-102F, the Dewalt 611 is at 80F. All my stuff is laid out similar to yours no fans just local temp of 68F.

3. Fred Quarles

Fred Quarles Well-Known
    Builder

I'll add that I had severe problems earlier when I had a job that made a long X axis run across the board during the job. It would stop and squall like crazy and then started cutting again,, it all the wrong places. I thought it was binding or slipping and I completely tore the X axis down to check everything. Found nothing bad.... Later after starting again I noticed the problem happened right after the ramp up speed ended and the travel speed began. Looking in the TinyG settings I found that I had typo'd the XVM setting was at 15,000 mmpm and not 1,500 like the other axis. I changed it to 1,500 and its been perfect ever since. Something to check before you tear in to the mechanics.
    And yes it is fun...

FredQ

4. leversole

leversole New
    Builder

All three of mine (velocity max) are 5080...dont knwo if that is too high or not!

5. Fred Quarles

Fred Quarles Well-Known
    Builder

Change the x & y to 1500 mm per min change
    The z to 800 mm per min and give that a try. You're
    Not going to hurt anything setting it lower.

FredQ

#5 Fred Quarles, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015