Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Mechancial data for rails and other components

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Venkatesh Narayan, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Venkatesh Narayan

Builder

I was wondering if mechanical data for teh various components are available somewhere ?

I would like to design an industrial rail system for sliding some 250-300 kg equipment on the rails, but would need structural data like load data or Ix, Iy values to ensure that the rails can take the proper loads.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

This is a hobbyist grade system, not an industrial one and is not even remotely designed for that level of loading.

3. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Well-Known
    Builder

Hi Venkatesh,

There is a very simple way to determine the moments of inertia for the v-slots.
    Open an AutoCAD file with the section you wish to calculate converted to region, then apply 'massprop' command. It is probably best if the v-slot section (region) is centered on the origin. The result is a text file which gives you the area, perimeter, bounding box, the centroid, moments and products of inertia, radii of gyration and the principal moments and x-y directions about the centroid. The measuring units depend on the global units of the drawing. As an example, please find attached file showing the above for the 20 x 20 mm v-slot. All dimensions are in mm.
    Same goes for the other v-slot profiles. This should be fairly easy, it took me under a minute to come up with the file attached. However, as Rick said above, I do not thing the v-slots are designed to carry such a big load as you suggested, 250-300 kgs., but the method above can be used for any system that you might pick for your application as long as you convert the section to region. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

Ronald van Arkel likes this.