Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Max current for blackbox is 2.4A before switch off..?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by KasperV79, Mar 1, 2020.

1. KasperV79

KasperV79 New
    Builder

Hi all.

Just conveted my Lead1010 cnc to use 23HD86001Y-21B (3.0A) stepper from SPAM. (coil resistance= 1.15 ohm)
    When trying to adjust the current (amp meter in series with one coil) I can slowly increase the current to ~2.4A and then its switch off the driver (red led), I've tried both the Y steppers with the same result.?
    all other drivers are set to minimum, while adjustment one driver at the time.

also tried with the same potmeter level where the driver switch off without the amp meter to verify that it didnt do the overcurrent..

the black box is 3 month old and has been running without any problem on the stock nema23.

power by a 24Vdc 14.6A.

any suggestions?

2. KasperV79

KasperV79 New
    Builder

So... after a litle time away from the CNC i tried once again... This time I could only get the driver to deliver 2.0A at potmeter all the way clockwise..?
    Is there some limitations that I missed some where? I did read one other post where a guy asked if this type of stepper fitted the BB. The answer was. 'Yes' the BB ins made for this type of stepper (Nema23H).

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yes, if you'll do a bit of research you find you cannot use an ammeter to check current in stepper wiring.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. KasperV79

KasperV79 New
    Builder

Could you maybe give me some feedback how to adjust the current correct?

Your documentation has nothing mentioned on how to adjust, only what happens if it’s to low or to high.

I know that the normal way is to measure the Vref, but that’s not possibly here right?

#4 KasperV79, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

@Peter Van Der Walt is the resident authority on the BlackBox (as he designed it) and he is the only person who can answer such questions.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

As every environment, machine, ambient temperature, extra resistance from any wiring between controller and motor, mounting position, coil inductance and other motor characteristics all vary wildly - its kinda pointless to go scientific about it.

You dont NEED every single Nm of torque from the motor either, running it with "just enough power" is better for all the components (they don't overheat, they last longer, the wiring doesnt heat up, coil insulation in the motors doesnt crumble, etc) so I always recommend running in your machine over a couple sessions - give it enough power to never stall under normal workloads, but well below overheating.

The drivers on the BlackBox are twice as strong as the typical DRVB8825 boards, so if you were used to those you'd be tempted to want to put all the power on. But a) its much more powerful and b) the potentiometer is scaled from 1.2A at minimum, not 0 (so even 1/4 turn is already enough for most NEMA23s)

If you suffer torque issues, note the SPAM motors may be less than ideal (current rating is but one parameter. Inductance and Coil resistance (and calculated coil voltage from V=I*R of coil resistance and current rating of datasheet does not provide it) - our motors were picked over years of testing to ensure all those are optomised for our kinds of machine. The knockoff's likely just took the cheapest NEMA23s and stuffed them in a box (;

Rick 2.0 likes this.