Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Making the linear rails stronger and their connection

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Pandauric, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Pandauric

Pandauric New
    Builder

I am connecting 3 linear v-slot 40x40 rails together with a maker link. The rails will be connected inline. I need to make the areas where the linear rails connect together much stronger. With just the makerlink connector 8 can bend the rails on either side of the connector and break the connector.

How do I make the connection stronger. There or 4 cylindrical holes in the rail. Can some rods to go in those holes and make the connection stronger? Where can I get the rods from?

Thanks.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The small size of the holes really won't offer much. I would probably be more inclined to use filler in the larger cavity area. One suggestion would be rabbeting the corners off a 1" square aluminum bar, turning it into a plus shape and then wedging that down the middle. You might also be able to achieve usable results with a similar piece of good hard oak or maple depending on your loading or usage conditions. Another thought would be to epoxy 1/2" all-thread rods in the nodes of the plus shape. Would probably go 6" each side of the joint with metal and 8" each side with wood.

3. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

I use cover plates over the top of the makerlink. If you make the hole spacing on the plate identical to that of the makerlink, then you can use M5 x 8mm or M5 x 10mm screws through the plate into the makerlink instead of the set screws. Even a plastic plate adds considerable strength, though if you want to add serious strength then go with aluminum or steel instead.

See the second, third, and fourth photos on this build: Chrysalis: An Enclosure for TAZ 6 3d Printers

Also make sure you are using the makerlink in pairs or more. One makerlink is usually weak. Two are moderately strong. And two plus plates are quite strong.

MaryD likes this.