Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

machine dimentions

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by mostafa mersal, May 8, 2015.

1. mostafa mersal

Builder

hi , i am mostafa from egypt and i did not built any cnc machines before so i was wondering if any one tried to build a gantry of 2 (20mm x 40mm ) v slot extrusion with length of 1000 mm before, this 20 mm x 40 mm extrusion size is the only i can find in egypt ,so is it suitable for a gantry?

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

It truly comes down to how heavy of a spindle you are using and how you plan to use the machine. If you are using a small rotary tool and cutting soft materials, it should be fine. If you need something more substantial however, consider stacking three 20x40 sections and bonding them together into a 40x60 member. With a bit of creativity, a lot of screws and a couple tubes of JB Weld, you might even be able to pull off a passable 40x80 C-Beam. That should cover about anything over a 1000mm span.

GrayUK likes this.
  3. mostafa mersal

Builder

i was surfing online and i studied the shapeoko 2 cnc with 20 mm x 40 mm maker slide rail and i found a version of the machine with
    1000 mm x 1000 mm with spindles mounted to the 2 (20 mm x 40 mm) gantry and works fine , so i am thinking to build a similar body using the 20 mm x 40 mm v-slot rail , so what do you think about that? 1403193167_IMG_1671.jpg

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

How well it will work really comes down to how you plan to use it. What do you intend to cut with this? How large of a spindle do you plan to use?