Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Machine died mid project, HELP!

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Colt Feinauer, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Colt Feinauer

Builder

Machine is a workbee 1010 using black box controller

been using the machine pretty consistently the last few days working on some issues and doing small jobs.

ran one job this morning no issues, started the second job, got about 1/3 of the way through the job and the machine just stopped. Everything looked ok on the control panel, I could pause job, resume job, etc but the machine doesn’t respond to anything. I stopped the job, closed the program and now all I am getting is “waiting on USB”.
    I have tried restarting both the black box and machine, reloading drivers, changing usb cables and nothing. I usually get a chime on my laptop when unplugging the usb and I’m not getting that.

the only thing I can think is that I do have a TIG welder in the garage as well and it was being used at the same time as the machine was running. The welder is about 7-8’ away and is plugged into a separate leg of my home wiring. I have had both running at the same time in the past and have never had issues. But I am wondering if it somehow fried the black box.

the black box still kicks on, motors hum, fan comes on and all the lights that normally do. Just doesn’t seem to connect to the usb?

what can I try??

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

1) Disconnect all wiring except the USB from the BlackBox
    2) Try connecting to it (wiring issues / broken peripherals / bad limit switches etc can prevent the 5v rail from running or the USB chip from booting)

Let me know if it connects then, then we take it further

If not,
    3) try it on a different PC (tig HF start is couple kilovolt and can inflict damage on PC USB ports (and on a BlackBox so got to rule out the PC)

3. gregers05

gregers05 Well-Known
    Builder

Let me know if you figure out anything, just had the same thing happen to me a few hours ago. Seems like this issue is popping up for several people all of a sudden. Did you happen to update the CONTROL software before the last cut where it disconnected?

4. gregers05

gregers05 Well-Known
    Builder

So I tried this out and it ended up fixing the issue...for now. Any idea what causes this issue in the first place? Would like to take preventative measures if possible so it doesn't happen in the future.

5. Colt Feinauer

Builder

I updated the control a few days before it happened, had used it several times before it quit on me.

I ended up getting it back after messing with it for a bit.

What ended up working was shutting the black off, unplugging the USB, turning the black box back on and plugging the usb in to the black box first and then back into the PC.

Finished the job I was running right after I got it back without a hitch.

from now on I’ll make sure I stagger my tig use while the machine is running.

6. gregers05

gregers05 Well-Known
    Builder

Good deal, glad you figured it out. I wouldn't think the welder would cause an issue as it doesn't have an impact on other electronics in the house and shouldn't if its all wired properly

7. Colt Feinauer

Builder

Yeah I’m not sure either, have welded several times before with the router running so I’m not sure, but it did stop right as I was starting a weld and had the though that the high frequency start could have caused an issue, when I have my shop speakers playing they make a high pitch squeal when you start an arc, so I know there is some interference happening, just didn’t know if it could case the issue I had with the black box communication dropping out

8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

As Marconi discovered, an arc (spark) emits radio frequencies.
    Alex.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  9. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Yeah that HF start can definitely cause issues. Blocking some of the directional RF emissions with an appropriately-sized grounded mesh screen might not be the worst idea either. Just gotta get the hole size right for the frequency.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.