Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

M8 M9 Relay not working

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Archilea, Sep 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Archilea

Archilea New
    Builder

Hello Openbuilds community! First time post, as I just bought a "Used" Lead 1010. Original purchaser bought all of the options, including Hi-Z mod, high torque motors, TONs of spare parts. Needless to say, I'm anxious to get it checked out and get started.

One snag: I cannot seem to get the Black Box relay to work.
    - Internal jumper set to M8/M9
    - Spindle LED wired from COOL output on Black Box to LED ring on spindle
    - M8 and M9 commands respond with ok from Black box
    - No LED Light after M8
    - No voltage output on +24V COOL output of Black Box

1. Do the relays go bad? Could the previous owner have burned it out?
    2. Is there an input voltage that I have to connect or input to the Black Box somewhere?
    3. From OpenBuilds CONTROL software, the IoT relay isn't coming on when I choose M3 255 either. Are they related? Do I need the Black Box jumper set to M3/M5, and cannot use the relay for the ring LED on the spindle?

Sorry for the newbie questions... I've been reading for 2 hours now...

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Being a secondhand machine, my suspicion would be damage by the previous owner,provided its wired it all as per our documentation.

Default Grbl setting is $30=1000 not 255, worth a try, but perhaps killed the PWM output too, history here being unknown

Of course, 24v in. See docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox

Doesn't affect IoT or onboard relay though. It needs 24v for the motors, fan, 0-10v system and Coolant output

And later
    You know these are seperate right? See that Documentation first

See docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox - the Relay jumper has nothing to do with either Coolant output or IoT - the jumper sets which command triggers the onboard relay. It's all in the documentation.

Assume the original owner didnt wire anything correctly (possibly mechanical assembly too) and recheck it all against the Documentation and the LEAD1010 Videos on our YouTube channel

3. Archilea

Archilea New
    Builder

That's what I'm afraid of, but I would like to rule out my own unfamiliarity with the system first. :)

I got the 255 from the output of the OB CONTROL software to the Black Box. When I select "Tool On ->Router ON" from the toolbar, it sends "M3 S255". Sorry, I could have been more specific. Are these values stored in the Black Box firmware? The value of $30 is 255 right now.

So, just power to the Black Box unit itself? This is working, as the Black Box has power and communicates to the PC fine. I can jog on all axes, home, and XYZ zero with the Probe successfully.

I can jog on all axes, home, and XYZ zero with the Probe successfully. I have the IoT connected per the documentation for both Spindle and laser units (Switched PWM signal, common ground).

I think I've read through the documentation from end to end at least 5-6 times now. Obviously, something didn't sink in. :)
    I have the LED Ring wired per the drawing in 3.7.2 in the docs. I went back and looked at the Black Box again, and saw that there is a separate relay contact connector. Does that mean that with the jumper configured to M8/M9 sending an M8 to the Black Box should have two simultaneous actions: Turn on the +24V on the COOL output (And my LED Ring), and close the contacts on the relay output?

Understood (Finally). Thanks.

However, I am unable to see any change to the output for PWM when I select Tool On->Router ON in CONTROL, and there is no change to the COOL output (+24V stays at GND) or the relay output (Stays open) when I send M8 and M9.

That is my assumption. I've spent days going through wiring methodically and have not found an issue yet. I can jog on all axes, home, and XYZ zero with the Probe successfully so far.

Finally, I haven't found where the Black Box firmware updates are located. I'm running 1.1g, and I have seen a reference to 1.1h in the documentation. If I could get a pointer to the latest I would appreciate it.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

The Grbl Wiki is another Must-Read to understand these :) See Home · gnea/grbl Wiki (Yes, saved to Grbl's EEPROM)

Yes, being a modular system, it adds a layer of flexibility. Someone with a specific use case may prefer a dry contact relay instead of a 24v signal - this gives options

Sounds like damage then - you may want to replace the BlackBox with a fresh new one :)

No real need to update, but if you do want to - Wizards and Tools > Firmware flashing - use the Hex file option and grab latest hex from GitHub - gnea/grbl: An open source, embedded, high performance g-code-parser and CNC milling controller written in optimized C that will run on a straight Arduino - but you are not missing out on anything for a normal build :) - 1.1g already had most of these built in (last official release was 1.1f), but see the 1.1h changelog here: Releases · gnea/grbl

5. Archilea

Archilea New
    Builder

Thank you. After I purchase a new one, are there options for repairing the Black Box unit I have, so I can use it as a spare down the road? :)

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Depends on your troubleshooting and soldering skillset :) - hot air rework tools at hand to replace the atmega?

7. Archilea

Archilea New
    Builder

Perhaps. I'll have to see what the lab has at work. We subcontract out a lot of that work these days.
    I'm an Electrical Engineer by degree, and started my career in industrial settings doing SCADA and control systems, but switched over to software a long time ago.

8. Archilea

Archilea New
    Builder

New Blackbox has been ordered, but it says that there may be shipping delays because of relocation. Anyone know how much delay to expect?
    I'm going to spend some more time today with a scope on the pwm output to see if there's any life.

In the meantime, I guess I'll build a drawer under the table to hold all the loose stuff... while I wait for parts to arrive. :/

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Store related questions are best directed at the store directly via https://support.openbuilds.com :)