Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

looking for advice and guidance

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Sl23K, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Sl23K

Sl23K New
    Builder

Not sure if I have posted this in the right place but here goes

Ok here is what I require lol I say it like this because I know what I want the machine to do and well I am thinking if I can switch out one device for another and use the machine for other purposes she who must be obeyed (if your not familiar with her well she has killed several small household drones over the last few years) may be a little more receptive to it (or preferably her) moving in to the spare room.

Ok the first requirement i have is that the size of the material i want to work with is kind of beyond what the little hobby kits will handle may have to work with sheets of around 920 x 920mm so the little 300mm and 600mm units will not do.

The second requirement is well maybe a little easier I need it to be able to drill repetitive holes of around 10 - 12 mm in diameter all the way through 2 - 4 mm material ( probably MDF)

The third requirement this is not that important but would be nice if it was possible and that is to be able to use something like a magic marker to draw a kind of layout and instructions prior to drilling to aid assembly. As I say not the be all and end all but would be nice

The fourth well this is probably the most important and that is cost this is to set up a small cottage type business which could fail much easier than it could succeed but you don't know till you try :D so the budget for this is very small well infinitesimal I think would be a better way of putting it lol.

Other things i am considering is that i would possibly like to be able to use a laser head with this unit to etch signs and the like so whilst at that i wouldnt mind maybe being able to use it to 3D carve the same signs and well possibly add this option to the business too.

I know it is a huge ask but someone surely must have some ideas and well that is what I am looking for.

Ones I have already thought of

Buy the elcheapo desktop one and move all bits to larger frame ends up twice the expense and will have a useless frame sitting around.

Drill said holes by hand errrr, No 200+ holes and i can live with a positioning accuracy of +/-1-2mm in any direction believe me when i say i am not that accurate even on the best of days.

Send out work to be professionally done expensive and i would still have to do all the design work and supply someone this so all they woud have to do is mount the material and push go. Would make each item prohibitively expensive.

So there you go guys all ideas welcome even the silly ones i know are going to come

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Have a look at the Ox. It is fairly economical to build if you cut your own plates (which really isn't that hard). It'll easily stretch to a 1000 x 1000 platform especially if you stick to a smaller spindle like a Kress. Look around the site here though as there are plenty of other builds that might fit the bill. When you get to the point of pricing out parts check with Ooznest, as they are would be the nearest major OpenBuilds parts distributor.