Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Looking for additional hardware for 20mm rail.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by DJRyan, Nov 1, 2016.

1. DJRyan

DJRyan New
    Builder

Hello,

I am looking to make some removable shelving that will work with the 20mm rails. I am working on this in a confined space and wheels will not be ideal. I would just like a piece of hardware I can mount a flat shelf that can slide into and be captive in the v-slot groove. I am providing a link to a piece of hardware like this for similar rails. Any ideas?

Thanks, Ryan

MinVee Miniature Linear Guide Track Support of Guided Linear Motion

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Not aware of any off-the-shelf items but what you seek is easily fabbed in Delrin or hdpe or even 3D printed. Aluminum is also an option but how difficult or viable would be based on the specific edge condition you are working with. Can you provide a sketch of where you are going with this? Also, what kinds of loads are you anticipating?

3. DJRyan

DJRyan New
    Builder

Thanks for the response,

This is the solution so far with what I can find. Keep in mind I need all the area on this shelf top and bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

How wide are the shelves? You could just cut a slot in wood and slide plywood shelves in the slots. Seal the wood with polyurethane (or whatever your preference is) then wax them real well with a wax stick. I have drawers I have built that have 50 pounds or more in them that are just waxed wood on wood. They are in a work bench in the garage and have functioned like that for 14 years now with no additional wax applied.

edit: I see you posted your comment while I was writing. Disregard. I misunderstood.

MaryD likes this.
  5. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

Acrylic sheet, fiber board etc can fit within the v groove. Would just need a solution to mount the V-Slot and an end cap.

6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

You can simplify that concept by eliminating the plate and spacer and merely inverting the screws. Drive them in from the bottom side leaving a 2mm gap between the head and the board. The screw heads will be trapped inside the rail and hold the shelf in place. If you need it to center and hold itself in place a little better, thin nylon washers can be added adjacent to the screw head.

I have been working on a similar application where I need 2 pieces of V-slot to slide relative to each other and I'm using strips of dollar store flexible cutting mat cut to match the width of the slot and then perforated for the screws to pass through. This not only provides a slippery surface but also keeps everything centered on the slot. A similar method is shown here using 3D printed parts. Both of these however may be to fiddly for your application.