Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Looking at building a 2x4 OX

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Deadman, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Deadman

Deadman New
    Builder

Hi guys brand new here i have been looking around but have not seen a bom for a 2x4 OX . Any suggestions on spindles ? thanks

2. Paul Schoggin

Builder

Deadman, I'm just finishing mine up hopefully a test run this weekend or early next week. Be careful of the BOM on the build page it is for the smaller Ox. so it doesn't quite match the needs for a 2'x4' Ox but with a little calculation it's not to bad. Problem is they were out of stock on a lot of items (may be better now) so you have to second source some things. Chris Laidlaw is a good source for the machined parts, he does good work at a fair price. Just remember that 24"x 48" bed will have a smaller cutting area for the machine so adjust accordingly. good luck, it's a fun build just hope mine works.

3. Deadman

Deadman New
    Builder

Thanks for the help !!

4. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

The Spindle.
    Well, your world is your oyster there. A great deal depends on what you plan to use your CNC for. Just hobby stuff, or maybe making stuff on a regular basis. The one I went for in the end was the:

Kress http://www.cnc4you.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=24&product_id=321

I had considered the Water cooled, and Air Cooled, Spindles from China, but taking in the cost of the controllers as well as pump and bits, plusssssss, it was from China, I decided against it this time. Maybe in the future.
    I already have a couple of big heavy, 3HP routers in my workshop, but I gave some thought to the noise those things make, and we are not talking about just a couple of minutes of use here, we are talking maybe hours!!!
    I'd noticed a lot of people were using the Kress for many different materials, plus they have a seriously good reputation. So that's why I ended up with this Spindle, but as I say, there are loads to choose from, and loads of different costs.

Gray

#4 GrayUK, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  5. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder