Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Logging position

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Jonny Taylor, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Jonny Taylor

Builder

Hi I am new to the community, I am building a custom system that is like a 3D printer without the extruder, it's just a large 3D positioning system. We will use it for scanning, so I want to change the position by moving between points on a regular grid. I was just going to put the positions into G-Code and move it that way, though I'm not sure the best software for communicating with my RUMBA board. The main thing is I'd like a time series of the position, so something that logs every second or something like that, with the x/y/z position at that current time.

Is there anything that does that already? The timing is just as important as the position. I could work something up after the fact if I had something that logged the position of each G-Code command. The alternative I suppose would be to specify the timing of all the movements and log the start time of a big G-Code command that takes care of the whole scan

Cheers!

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I believe you need a programmer if you are not one yourself.
    Assuming the RUMBA is much like any GRBL board, you can talk to it via the USB serial connection.
    This means a program can be written that does all you need.
    1 - generate and send the positioning Gcodes
    2 - take a sample at each position, or during moves, as required
    3 - log the positions and samples as it goes along.

There are python examples for GRBL on Github that show the basics of communicating using python, strangely I cannot find any similar examples for Marlin, but it must be about the same since it was branched from GRBL a long time ago.