Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lofty aspirations - seeking advice for potential build to mill wax for jewelry casting

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by candy_mogul, Sep 2, 2018.

1. candy_mogul

Builder

Hello, Open Builds members.
    After missing out on a bargain Roland JWX-10 jewelry wax mill, I have been scouring the internet for potential alternatives. All the current turnkey solutions are quite expensive.

I found my way here after many nights googling and getting confused with different CNC mill/router variations including the Chinese 3020, etc..... ebay routers.

As per my thread title, I am confident what I wish to achieve is quite the challenge for a first build, which is why I'm seeking advice.

I would like to build a 4 axis machine with the 4th axis rotational, like the Roland JWX-10.
    The idea is to mill wax jewelry casting patterns or models using wax tubing or a flip jig to mill 2 sided flat wax patterns. If the completed mill could also machine aluminum to make jigs and brackets for the wax milling, it would be a bonus.
    My question is which style of the mill is the best platform, the mini-mill, C beam or something else?
    I am open to suggestions and advice and prefer not to be a pioneer.
    What is available for the rotary 4th axis, and what are my controller options?

Thanks,
    Wayne

Gstice likes this.