Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Linear Rail to combine with VSlot Parts 2015-03-13

Commercial linear rail system

1. Iwan Müller

Iwan Müller Well-Known
    Builder

2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

That looks interesting, are you going to try it ??

Tweakie.

3. Iwan Müller

Iwan Müller Well-Known
    Builder

yep, I did already and I'm very pleased with the outcome. DSC00692.JPG

wojak, crispin and sgspenceley like this.
  4. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Excellent. :thumbsup:

Tweakie.

5. AlexLee

AlexLee New
    Builder

Iwan,

That's absolutely beautiful, really looking forward to seeing her in action!

Alex

6. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Can you give us some more pictures please. Looks really good.
    And what size sliders are we looking at here?
    Cheers
    Gray

7. sgspenceley

sgspenceley Veteran
    Builder

A really outstanding solution. Which bearings did you choose they have a number of options.

8. SatMike

SatMike New
    Builder

Looking at the pictures, it looks like he used the Drylin W double rail (part # WS-10-40) and the assembled carriage (part # WW-10-40-10). The only difference between the WS-10-40 and WS-10-80 is that the -40 has single, centered, mounting holes, while the -80 uses 2 mounting holes. The -40 is $54 per 1000mm, while the -80 is $98, which seems like an easy decision to make. As for the carriage, it cost $40, while you can buy the indivdual pillow blocks for $5.25 each (4 per carriage). To me, that's a large mark up for an aluminum mounting plate and some screws.

I really appreciate you sharing this information, and I think I might have finally decided on the direction for my first build. Any chance of creating a build log?

9. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

@SatMike, where are you finding these prices? I can't seem to find anything close to that.

10. SatMike

SatMike New
    Builder

I found the prices listed on their website. Most of their items require requesting a quote, but the items I mention have the prices listed and can be directly added to a cart. I also found that if you select the assembled carrier there is a wizard which asks for several things like length of rail, diameter, number of carriages, and will create a single package price. A 1500mm rail with carriage came out to be right around $125.

Double Rail and Pillow blocks
    http://www.igus.com/wpck/3624/DryLin_W_Doppelschiene

Assembled carriage
    http://www.igus.com/wpck/3668/DryLin_W_Fuehrungsschlitten_montiert

#10 SatMike, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    Rick 2.0 likes this.
  11. sgspenceley

sgspenceley Veteran
    Builder

I really like these double rails because it avoids alignment problems. I choose the larger 20mm diameter rail, they are not in-expensive but compared to others I have been looking at the prices are good.
    40" of the dual rail 20-80 with 4 bearings. $194
    Screen Shot 2015-03-18 at 7.30.07 PM.png

The nice configuration tool shows $217 including mounting plate.
    Screen Shot 2015-03-18 at 7.39.14 PM.png

#11 sgspenceley, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    GrayUK likes this.
  12. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Why only one rail - Why 4 carriages - Is this for an X axis.

Gray

13. sgspenceley

sgspenceley Veteran
    Builder

Hi Gray, I was just trying to get a feel for the pricing, the first example I selected 4 bearings and the double rail. Then I tried the wizard suggested by SatMike, this automatically calculates bearings, carriage plate and double rail.
    So for my purposes the full CNC bearings set would be over $700. While this looks very expensive it's much cheaper than other production quality brands which typically price in around $1200 > $1500 for linear bearings.

I bought Chinese open, supported bearings for $300 which are outstanding value but tricky to align precisely when they run parallel. Hence why I liked the double rail concept.

14. SatMike

SatMike New
    Builder

Steve,

Do you think it is needed to go up in size to the 20-80 rail, versus the 10-40 or 10-80 rails? I utilized their drylin liftetime calculator, and the 10-40 rail seemed more than capable. Then again, I am new to CNC design, so I may be using incorrect info. (i calculated for an acceleartion of 1 m/s, 500N downward force, 1500mm rail, and 15km lifetime distance traveled). I know the acceleration is far above what's needed, and from my perspective, so is the downward force. I would love to get your input on this, as the 10-40 rail is a huge cost savings over the other two.

15. sgspenceley

sgspenceley Veteran
    Builder

Hi SatMike. My feeling is "emotional" based on what I learned in the first build. When I first looked at the OX with two beams for the X axis, I thought wow that is strong enough for me!

But when you watch the OX in action under cutting loads it was shocking to see the flex across the gantry. So my approach now is save a little longer and over engineer the parts. My concern with the 10mm diameter rails is they are made from aluminum which is not strong or stiff, hence why I priced the larger diameter rails.

But the 10-80 will be much, much better than the original OX wheel setup in my opinion...

When I look at Iwan's photograph of his machine the diameter looks like 20mm, but this is a pure guess! You might be right...

#15 sgspenceley, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  16. SatMike

SatMike New
    Builder

So after looking at the photos some more, I would say Iwan used the 16-60 rail, based on comparing the size of the rail to the nema 23 plate and the fact that the rail is center mounted. The 16-60 rails is $103 per meter, so it's about $40 cheaper per meter than the 20-80 rail. For the rails at 1500mm and assembled carriage, it comes to $209. I think the 16-60 might be a good compromise between size and cost.

Also, where do you see that the larger rails are not made from aluminum? Everything I see is that all of the Drylin W rails are aluminum.

I think if I go this route, I will look at using the 16-60 for the y-axis, and the 10-40 for the x. Not only is there a cost savings, but the 10-40 will help keep the weight down on the x-axis.

17. sgspenceley

sgspenceley Veteran
    Builder

I agree the 16-60 would be a great compromise.

Other companies offer double rail configuration in different material's but the prices were much higher. I found some really nice ones in stainless steel, but $2500 for single axis setup up I did not like it for long!

I just received quote from Thomson linear bearings for ONE aluminum rail and.carriage..
    Part Number: 2DA12JOBL1000mm
    List Price: $1306.84 USD Each

I'm really shocked at the prices of major brand bearings!

#17 sgspenceley, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  18. Iwan Müller

Iwan Müller Well-Known
    Builder

So sorry to answer your questions so late:

yes I'm using the 16-60. I tried the 10-40 but it doesn't leave enough space for the lead screw and lead screw block, so I think the 16-60 is a good choice.

DSC00716.jpg DSC00718.jpg DSC00719.jpg router7.jpg

crispin and sgspenceley like this.
  19. rvtifer

rvtifer New
    Builder

Thanks for sharing this finding as well as all the pictures and BOC. Very much appreciated.
    This seems, indeed, to be an elegant solution although I assume that there would be some wear and tear to the sleeves over time. Could you maybe share a video of it working ?
    Also it seems that IGUS sells these rails with pillow blocks and slide as a "Camera Slide" bundle and I the DryLin W16-A seems to be made of a 1 m slide of 16-10, 4 pillow blocks and a carriage for $85 on Amazon. The DryLin W16-C is substantially more expensive at 175$ for the combo and the pictures are identical but as far as I can tell the only difference is that the "C" has a clamp for adjusting slide stiffness.

DryLin W16-A: http://www.amazon.com/DryLin-Linear...-1&keywords=camera+slide+igus#customerReviews

20. SatMike

SatMike New
    Builder

The difference between the W16-A and C is that A is instilled on both the rail and carriage while the C is drilled and has the clamp. -B is drilled with no clamp.

Some people on cnczone have used the igus slide but the general consensus has been that they have too much play. How has it been working for you Iwan?