Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

limit switch help!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by chad e richardson, Nov 10, 2020.

1. chad e richardson

Builder

I currently have a home built machine that i am using a probotix controller with. It is 30 by 50 cutting area. I got some limit switches from here for all the axis but not sure how to wire them all together. The controller is a unity M series that has only 1 8pin input for the limit switches. How can i wire multiple switches and be able to plug the group into one connection. Im guessing i need some type of terminal block that all the switches are wired to and then from there they are connected to a wire that contains multiple wires that are soldered to the 8pin male connector they supplied.

Attached Files:

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You'll want a 8 pin GX (aka aviation) connector. Probably a GX16 but can't tell by the picture what size. Yes you'll have to solder though I think I recall some that didnt require soldering when I bought mine a few years back. Lots a videos on Youtube if you need to learn how to solder them.

3. chad e richardson

Builder

I was sure i had to solder which is fine because ive done that several times. I was just confused on how to connect all the switches to the one connector and work properly. I actually cant really find any videos or hardly any info on this type of connector being used. I see several diagrams and videos showing particular setups but this box was prewired and not sure fully how the connection was supposed to be made.

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Just follow their pin diagram and you'll be good to go. You didnt specify which limit switches, but the two wire is a no brainer. For the 3 wire ones, you dont use the V+ wire connection.

Edit: I dont see the two wire switches in the store anymore, so you probably have the 3 wire Xtension switches?

5. chad e richardson

Builder

yes 3 wire. and i was thinking a normally closed

6. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

The xtension switches are normally open.

Edit: Just reread your initial post. I'm thinking now you mean that you have multiple switches on each axis. If that's the case, wire them in parallel. No need for a terminal block.. Additional Micro Limit Switches

7. chad e richardson

Builder

So if they are all connected how would Mach 3 know which switch or axis is tripped. Wouldn’t they need to separated in some way for that to be recognized or would it be fine because each axis would be homed in a different sequence and dosnt really matter. Not sure how to explain what I’m asking in the correct terms let me think about it some more

8. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

If you use the setup that is shown in the diagram (pin numbers) then Mach3 will know which axis is triggered when a limit switch is pressed. It would make no difference which one of the two was triggered. If you use it to set homing it doesn't matter either since Mach3 sets the axes home in the conventional way.

BTW, I use one input pin in Mach3 for all three axes and it works a charm since once a limit switch is triggered the machine stops and no difference with axis went too far. All six switches are connected in parallel.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

It knows where it was heading :) so, when it hits, it knows its the one "that way"

sharmstr likes this.