Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lil CNC - ReWork + Hello World, Etch Video

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by AlexC, Jun 20, 2015.

1. AlexC

AlexC New
    Builder

Hi all, been building 3d printers for a few years now, but recently decided to take a dip into the hobby CNC realm with my latest open rework. I found a 3d printed 3 axis mill project over on instructables to get the ball rolling, and dug into it, designing my own set of printed parts for it,..

For a hobby mill made of plywood, plastic, generic 'all thread' lead screws, and economy electronics I am actually really impressed by the results, granted slow results, but still, results that you'd not guess came from such a basic machine.

I quasi plan on releasing it here, but kind of curious what you folks think about this Lil CNC project?
    I do sell printed parts kits for this project, but I also make the 3d printed parts available for non compete re-work (points to links above), so i think that still works with this site, right..?

Here is a video I shot of the tool path of a ~20 min "hello world" etch (speed up 2.5x for sanity sake).

The etch is a modification of the open hardware logo i did, I am finding it a good relatively quick calibration / test etch for whenever I make changes.

Close up of the etch job in acrylic (not the first run, but maybe the 5th or 6th) The square border around the logo is 40x40mm for x/y calibration, and the text is at its tallest ~4mm tall. The cutting bit used was a 25deg, 0.3mm flat tip engraving bit, etch depth was about 0.4mm.
    LilCNC_5741_Web.jpg

A deeper etch in acrylic
    StarCitizen_Web.jpg

The machine
    LilCNC_5677_Web.jpg

And my etch graphic.
    OpenHardwareHelloWorld_40x40mm_Quick.jpg

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Thanks for your post. Nice little machine you've created there. And yes, all opensource ideas are welcome and gratefully accepted. Some members may follow verbatim while others just need inspiration (which is kind of the beauty of opensource material).

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

That is a really great little machine you have built! :thumbsup:
    Well done.
    You used a lot of plastic on your Z fitting! :)
    Some more pictures would really good.
    Again - Well done :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gray

4. AlexC

AlexC New
    Builder

Thanks (both), there are a lot of pics on the instructable, but i will be doing a build page here some time this next week.

here are a few from the X carriage / Z lift assembly.

XCarriageAssembly_IMG_5564_WebRez.jpg XCarriageAssembly2_IMG_5566_WebRez.jpg XCarriage_IMG_5569_WebRez.jpg ToolSlide_IMG_5388.jpg SpindleMotorAssembly_IMG_5532_WebRez.jpg

and yeah, its a chunky plastic monkey (~30 oz of plastic 4 entire mill, most of that in the X carriage), but stiff as a brick in all but X, but that's the fault of the melamine sides more than anything, they need a bit of reinforcement still, probably some aluminum L extrusion epoxied to the inside lower edge of both sides...

#4 AlexC, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    sigrx73 likes this.