Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lightburn HELP.... Blackbox X32 GrblHAL issues!!!

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Kyle Rausch, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Kyle Rausch

Builder

Hello group..... Im sure someone has come across this and I am just not finding it in the forum. Just finished building an Acro1015 machine with the X32 Blackbox. Tested everything in Openbuilds control and it was flawless. I went into Lightburn, it did not automatically find machine so I set it up manually. Once it connects to the Port it shows GrblHAL 1.1f and is giving me a failed to initialize SD card warning.

The machine will not move, will not home. You can hear the motor engage when the COM4 connects but that is it. I am currently on Lightburn 1.4.04, not sure if this is creating some of the connection issue.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Double check its still working in CONTROL, as that sounds almost like $4 Invert Enable is set incorrectly - should be $4=0
    To move motors you need Power (the thump sound says thats correct) and the correct Grbl Settings

SD warning not important (No SD card plugged in into it, but thats just for WebUI, neither CONTROL nor LightBurn uses it)

3. Kyle Rausch

Builder

Back in Openbuilds Control everything runs and homes as it should. $4 is set to 0. I am grabbing a couple screen shots to show what I see. Maybe there is something I am missing.

4. Kyle Rausch

Builder

Here are screen shots from both. The machine will not move at all in Lightburn. The program acts as if it is waiting for a movement to complete when move buttons are pushed, but nothing is happening.

Attached Files:

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Sorry then its a LightBurn specific issue. Not seen that before either.

Try their support page Contact / Suggestions

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Also try playing with the DTR checkbox (try with and without)
    Device Settings - LightBurn Documentation

You are on 115200 baud rate?

Did use the Grbl option for 1.1f (Not Grbl-M3 which is for older versions of Grbl)

IMG_20240426_224810.jpg

lightburn-grbl.png

#6 Peter Van Der Walt, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  7. Kyle Rausch

Builder

Went through those things with no luck. I took a chance and swapped my blackboxes on my machines putting the older x4 on the laser and moved the x32 to my lead1515. X32 works great on the CNC. X4 is moving the laser in lightburn now. Baud rate is good on the 115, and yes running on Grbl, not any of the other options.

With the switch to the older black box $4=0 it will not move. If I have it on $4=1 I have correct movement, but the machine will not home and find 0,0. Is there a diagram to play with different $4 configurations that will wake it up possibly?

8. Peter Van Der Walt

OK so I downloaded a fresh trial and its 1.5.06

upload_2024-4-27_9-5-6.png

so might be that you are just running outdated versions?
    Public Beta Releases - 1.4.04 says 1.4.04 was a Beta version, and dates back to Oct last year?

Anyway, setup my X32 with the same instructions as docs:software:lightburn [OpenBuilds Documentation] and it connects fine (No DTR trickery needed, standard setup worked fine)

Comms works fine, can see my machine settings and everything. $4=0 even in the settings here (0=false, 1=true)

upload_2024-4-27_8-52-46.png

Created a simple square, and ran the job. Machine moved just fine

Maybe uninstall the old version, clean up any remaining files, do a clean install of Lightburn (fresh new version) and try again.

Stick to our proven profiles and don't muck around with the settings at first.
    I merely asked you to check it as the symptoms appeared to match. :) - if it moves in CONTROL while jogging $4 is set correctly. Its just enabled/disabling the stepper drivers

Well correct, X32 needs $4=0, older 4X needs $4=1 (grblHAL has a couple standard Pin inversions so Enables, Limits, probes are all inverted from what they were on the 4X)

Note these are set by our profiles in CONTROL (If its sees you are connect to grbl, it will set $4=1, if it sees grblHAL it will set $4=0 - the profiles avoid the need to do these manually - just do Select Machine and if you need to customize avoid changing parameters without consideration. $4 is specific to the type of firmware/controller no randomness needed. Disabled/0 for the X32, Enabled/1 for the 4X)

The 4X running stock Grbl firmware will not home a 2-axes machines (it homes Z first, you don't have a Z - you'll need to flash a custom firmware first which is a little tricky at the moment: flash tool in CONTROL undergoing rewrite so you'd have to use an old version to flash. Easier to use the X32 and its faster so better for a laser anyway)

Seeing an old version of LightBURN, makes me wonder, are you on CONTROL V1.0.374 or also outdated? (Only newer versions of CONTROL know about the X32, 1.0.333 and newer but best to be on latest 1.0.374

9. Kyle Rausch

Builder

Currently running both 1.5.06 in Lightburn and 1.0.374 in control. I will swap boxes back again and see if everything lines up to what you screen shot for the X32. I did get it to run and run a file on the older x4 but the next problem I believe is a Lightburn problem to solve. Power of laser is not outputting as it should, even 100% seems like it is running at half power. Movement speed also seems extremely slow on the same 300in/min setting I had it on before removing the old Neje board for the blackbox.

This may also be a result of what looks like smaller tooth drives compared to the Neje configuration. Going to do a tooth count on that today.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Either incorrect value on $30 (1000?) or $33 (5000 default but cheapie laser modules might prefer lower like 1000hz)

Steps per mm first. (Speed is distance over time. If distance is not calibrated, the rest of the math is nonsensical)

Then tune for optimal Acceleration and thereafter tune for Max Rate (procedure as described in Grbl Wiki Grbl v1.1 Configuration)