Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lifting Block Ceiling Crane?

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Immutef, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Immutef

Immutef New
    Builder

Hey,

I have some left-over V-Slots and C-Beams and I'm in need of a simple crane under my ceiling in my workshop to lift some heavier parts with a lifting block. The loads range from 30kg to 500kg. I'm wondering if the V-Slot wheels and aluminium extrusions could handle that.

My idea so far is mounting two C-Beams under the ceiling to move the lifting block forward and backward. Accross run two VSlots (40x20) where a little sled with the lifting block will be attached. I don't know yet if I need the sled to be movable in a second direction or not.

Primary purpose is to ease assembly and disassembly of my milling machine. I'm working on a CNC conversion and some more stuff in the future, where I somewhat often have to lift some stuff off, or the whole machine.

Best regards,
    Pierre

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You'll need a much heavier gauge rail to achieve what you seek to accomplish.

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

look for Hilaldam rails, made for sliding doors. (or similar product in your country)
    Sliding Door Systems | Hillaldam

you will probably need to attach the rail to another beam to take 500kg, in normal use door rails are attached to the wall at intervals to take the weight.