Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lead screw Vs. ball screw.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by ca. 280, Jul 20, 2021.

1. ca. 280

ca. 280 New
    Builder

Planning to build a larger (24" x 24") machine and would like to upgrade to ball screws.
    Problem is, any I see on Amazon at a price I would pay, are grade7, if it's even listed.
    Would the gains over good (12mm +) lead screws be worth it ?? Any comments appreciated.
    Add on; my Z axis now is ball and it sure is quiet and got me thinking.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

One factor to keep an eye on is the pitch of the screw - ballscrews are often 1/2 the pitch of a comparable leadscrew and might limit your maximum speeds.
    Alex.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

If you're planning on using grbl, you really need to get DFU nuts because it has no backlash comp and ballscrews naturally have a little wiggle in the ball channel (usually can't wiggle them by hand, but it shows up under load). Don't bother with Amazon, look at eBay and AliExpress, where the actual maker/sellers are. Some you can contact to get specific sizes, pitches, end machining, etc. Prices are very reasonable. Of course they have to ship from China, which is sometimes easier said than done these days, but it shouldn't be too bad.

I got two 1500mm 1610 screws, a 1100mm 1610 screw, a 450mm 1605 screw, 4x1500mm/2x1200mm/2x500mm 20mm HGR linear rails, each with two carriages, and a bag of caps'n'grease zerks for like, $1000 shipped? They made me a specific listing.

Ball/rail conversions are great, you just have to know their particular set of pitfalls and foibles- every mechanism has some.

Koburzasty likes this.
  4. Torin3

Torin3 Well-Known
    Builder

Rob, I'm going to be posting a question soon about a ball/rail conversion, and given your experience, I'd appreciate you looking it over.