Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

LEAD Lathe

Discussion in 'CNC Lathes' started by Giarc, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Blacksmith74

Builder

Hi Alex, thank you so much for your reply we do have the X, Y and A axis working now with much fiddling the A (U) is now working plugged into Y and some changing in config. We did a very quick design in Aspire and put it through the demon processor and it starts off wonderfully doing everything it should but after two minutes the machine just stops, could you just have a look at the gcode and see if there is a problem anywhere, I did add the line (ROTARY_WRAP_Y="U") and like i said it seems to start ok then stops after a short while. Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I can see nothing in the g-code that would upset the Duet. Are you getting any error messages when it stops? If so mscreenshot them (show the whole screen please) and post the pics here along with a screenshot of the console log.

Alex.

3. Blacksmith74

Builder

Hi Alex, thank you for your help, I have switched machine on today, it is homing and X, Y and A (U) axis moving fine, I have uploaded and run the Demon gcode test that moves the X and A(U) axis runs fine. When I put the file that I sent you, the same one that worked on Friday until it stopped 2 mins in, no longer works we get the initial movement of Z and that’s it, now bashing head on brick wall lol, I’m sending you the error codes from today to see if you can fathom something, tell me if you need anything else but you can see test in green worked but other file just not working. I’ve not touched the machine since it worked

Attached Files:

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

5. Blacksmith74

Builder

Attached Files:

6. Blacksmith74

Builder

Attached Files:

7. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

1) See advice from @Peter Van Der Walt above.
    2) Use shorter file names
    3) Post the g-code that does work
    4) Is the Duet giving any other error messages when it stops.
    5) I'm puzzled by the message about the incorrect use of the S parameter as there isn't one in the g-code you posted
    6) Am I right to assume that you are using the RepRap V3.3 based firmware from Ooznest?

Alex.

EDIT thanks for the better pics.
    Where are you setting Z zero? You are getting some "out of limits" errors which is usually not enough headroom for your Z safety moves on a workbee.
    I don't understand why you are getting errors about spindle speed when you don't have spindle commands in your g-code.
    I really need to see the g-code that works for comparison.

#97 Alex Chambers, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
  8. Blacksmith74

Builder

Hi Alex, thank you for that, I’m also completely baffled, I’ll get all that together tomorrow and send it over after work

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Caught my eye too:

upload_2024-5-20_22-31-1.png

Soft Limits error, if it was Grbl i'd advise Soft Limits off as a test

Giarc likes this.
  10. Blacksmith74

Builder

Have included screenshot of the gcode that works, it is the Demon Post Processor test file that moves only the X and A(U) axis. If you compare them to the other i sent you will see i added the ROTARY_WRAP_Y="U" as this was on the documentation that you sent me a while back and it was the only way i could get the file to work. As it stands Z (Driver 0), U (Driver 1 which was originally Y), X (Driver2). so nothing had changed with either the setup on the board or the gcode, yet on Friday it worked and yesterday it didnt but the Test gcode i have just sent has worked both Friday and today.
    The Duet as far as i know did not send any error messages when it stopped on Friday but at present cannot recreate that as gcode not working.
    would it help if i sent pictures of config and console to see if ive made any errors there?
    Im sure it is version 3.3 but i will check and also when you say the out of limits and where am i setting Z Zero are you refering to Aspire or workbee

Edit
    Yes its definitely V3.3, i have included shots of the config ans machine specifics, i have also sent shots of the article you sent me to follow which includes setting up homeu.g file which i may have done wrong so ive sent screen shot and also post prosessor set up

Attached Files:

#100 Blacksmith74, May 21, 2024
    Last edited: May 21, 2024
  11. Blacksmith74

Builder

A very noob question how do I test with soft limits off?

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Might be good to move the specifics about the Duet to a more duet-specific forum might (or properly review their documentation Duet3D Documentation). Maybe GCode dictionary

We mainly use Grbl / grblHAL based controllers like docs:blackbox-x32:start [OpenBuilds Documentation] (CONTROL > Grbl Settings > Soft Limits > Disabled > Save for that) around here.

Might be easier if you had one - more experts around here, its a proper CNC controller (Not a 3D printer board thats used for CNC)

and also much easier in general (Grbl Settings editor - way easier than config files, gcodes for configs etc), example below:

upload_2024-5-21_16-3-11.png

Attached Files:

13. Blacksmith74

Builder

We have just been discussing the black box, I’m guessing it runs four axis. Which is what we are after, it’s only a small machine. What exactly do we require along with the blackbox to run it and what firmware does it run on, any info you can give us would be great and also set up info would be good and we may need help which I’m assuming we can get here

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Good quality PSU, our Xtension Limits helps with any later EMI issues. Can reuse your motors. Review https://docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox-x32 beforehand

grblHAL

In general just docs.openbuilds.com covers most of it

Always! We'd be better equiped to help. We designed it and know it a lot better than Duets. Its a proper CNC controller. Super easy to use

15. Blacksmith74

Builder

Thank you so much will have a look at info

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  16. Blacksmith74

Builder

Can you suggest a post processor or would the Demon one work with a normal cnc rotary

17. Blacksmith74

Builder

Also we have two motors on the Y so we would need 5 drivers ie X, Y, Y1, Z and A has the blackbox got enough ports/drivers

18. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

See comments earlier in this thread - the demon post processor should work with any grbl based controller. You can wire both Y motors in parallel and run them from one driver.

Alex.

19. Blacksmith74

Builder

Thank you Alex

20. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

The demon works with normal rotary axis with the Y axis as the rotary. You will have to change the steps per mm when you switch to rotary, but that is a simple process.

21. Blacksmith74

Builder

So we have decided to take the plunge and go for the Blackbox x32. Could you just clarify a few things for me -
    A) We already have our Nema23 cables, we need long cables of 3m so I’m guessing we are ok just purchasing the Xtension Connector Sets 4 pin male female, we then have Nema17 wire on the rotary (it’s only small for jewellery and small statues) so do we use the same connector?
    B) I’ve enclosed a photo of the limit switches we have on the X, Y, Z are these ok to use or do we need the Blackbox limits ( I have to add that it would be painful to try and change these limits as machine would literally have to be taken apart) If ours are ok I’m taking it that we need the 3 pin connectors male female
    C) Does an rotary axis need a limit switch
    D) Does the Blackbox allow for a external emergency stop

Attached Files:

22. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

Blacksmith, to question B) the answer is yes, you can use these switches. You may need a 3 pin connector but you'll only need the (-)and signal wires, no need for the (+).
    The answer to C) is no.

23. Peter Van Der Walt

Cutting power is far safer. If the PSU is on fire or your spindle, pausing motion won't really help save your shop. Grab a https://www.rockler.com/safety-power-tool-switch

Looking at the pic they should be easy to replace. Xtensions Limits will prevent any EMI issues. They mount in V-Slot with a drop in tee nut no disassembly needed.

Min current 1.7A like ours? If lower BlackBox may burn out the motors, we have 1.2-3.2A RMS range, so you have to watch out for going too small, it doesn't turn down lower than 1.2A RMS (ideal for 1.7A Max motors like our NEMA17s

Comes with connectors at BlackBox side, only need extras if you want to use them to build extension cables.

If its 3rd party motors see docs:blackbox-x32:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    Your old switches wiring docs:blackbox-x32:connect-micro-limit [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    New switches wiring docs:blackbox-x32:connect-xtension-limit [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    Current adjustment (do before hooking up NEMA17s) docs:blackbox-x32:currentadjustment [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Homing switch helps. Usually something like a hall effect on frame and magnet on chuck so you can home without impeding >360deg turns. Limits usually not enabled as it may need to do >360deg turns

24. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I do not have one on my rotary axis. I physically trigger the Y axis (my rotary axis) limit with my finger when the Y axis starts to try to home. I could probably disable that one with software, but I was too lazy to figure out how. I am using the older BlackBox 4x which is why I am using the Y as my rotary.

25. Blacksmith74

Builder

It’s the Z limit that worries me as it is literally hidden underneath the gantry unless you have a better place you could suggest

26. Blacksmith74

Builder

Do you have anymore videos of your rotary working or a YouTube channel, I’m looking for videos of 3D models put through vcarve/aspire using Demon post processor, doing some homework while waiting for blackbox

27. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Earlier in this thread. LEAD Lathe

Also, my gift to you to make the alignment of the 3D tabs easier ;): Use the 9 (counterclockwise) and 0 (zero) (clockwise) keys to rotate things like tabs and vectors. They will cause selected item to rotate 45 degrees at a time. It took me a couple years to figure that out. I guess I could have read the manual.

#117 Giarc, May 26, 2024
    Last edited: May 26, 2024
  28. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I do not have instructional videos other than a couple calibration videos. I basically just make videos of projects I post here at OpenBuilds like this one: