Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lead 1515 X & Y axis issues after assembly

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by DementorLM, Apr 2, 2022.

1. DementorLM

Builder

Hello all,

I finished assembling my Lead 1515 yesterday and when I got to the point of jogging the x and y positions I ran into an issue.
    Here are two videos showing the problem
    . OpenBuilds - Google Drive

The Z axis works fine. I am pretty sure I did not make a mistake in the assembly since I followed the video and really took my time with the build.

Once that happened I did the following:
    - I rechecked the motor wires to make sure everything was correct
    - made sure the flexible couplings are tight and correctly placed on the motor shafts
    - reapplied tension to the rods
    - I rewrote the Lead 1515 profile to the black-box
    - I lowered the jog speed in the OpenBuilds Control to 30%(this helped a bit on the Y axis doing 0.1" movements, but once I switched back to 1" movements it did it again). It also helped a bit on the X axis at first but then it just made the sound from the video in both directions.

Update from today. I raised the voltage on the blackbox for the x axis and stopped vibrating but does not move smoothly. I tried the entire voltage range but it still does the same thing.
    I tried that on the y axis and in small increments it works. But as soon as I move it 10-100mm at a time it does the same thing as the video.

I thought I fixed it by setting the voltage, but my jog speed was at 50%. It worked fine at that speed. Then I homed the machine and ran the Hello World job and it did it again so I aborted the job. It seems to not handle the 100% speed of the jog control or the hello world job.

One thing I did notice when assembling is that the X and the Y2 rod is extremely hard to rotate. I tried threading it the first time from each side of the threaded plates but it did not make a difference. I can barely rotate the Y2 rod by hand, and the X rod is even harder. I had to use a wrench to rotate it from the tension nut. Not sure if that has something to do with it, but I am hoping this can be solved. I was very excited yo have it up and running. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#1 DementorLM, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  2. DementorLM

Builder

Update:

After going through about 80 pages in the forum I found a few things that I tried out.

I took the tension off the rods and loosened the screws from the threaded nut blocks I think it’s called.

After doing so and playing around with the motor voltages I managed to get the machine to jog at 100% speed with no problems, even after retightening the blocks and adding tension.

Then I tried sending the Hello World file and it seems like the feedrate is way too fast. Even though I checked and it's only 1000mm/s. It did the thing on the Y axis again shown in the video. The X axis might be ok, but I didn’t notice since I panicked and aborted the job.

Then I tried sending a test file I had for a different machine which had a feedrate of 1400mm/m and it just stalled and the motors sounded like they were going to explode.
    I found a post about that ( Stepper Motors stall ) which is exactly what it did here, and the solution was to calibrate the acceleration. I loaded the Lead 1515 profile from OB Control and I also tried the one on the touch control unit (can’t remember the name at the moment). So it’s the recommended settings.

I will be only using the machine for acrylic so my feedrate will probably end up between 1000-1400mm/m at 0.8-1.3mm depth per pass.

Should I try setting the acceleration / max rate manually in this case?

#2 DementorLM, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Did you order your machine from openbuildspartstore.com, a reseller or elsewhere?
    Just to confirm as our motors match our profiles, as does our leadnut and leadscrew diameters.

DementorLM likes this.
  4. DementorLM

Builder

Thank you for the reply,
    Yes, I ordered the fully loaded bundle from openbuildspartstore.com

5. Peter Van Der Walt

1) Take the motors off the machine
    2) Try jogging a longish distance - if its stutters/vibrates, see docs:blackbox:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    3) If the motors on their own runs fine, it will be some mechanical binding - incorrectly installed leadnuts, thrust bearings, that sort of thing - the leadscrew had to be relatively easy to turn by hand.
    A little dry/ptfe lubricant (do not use oil, it degrades plastic components) - might help too for the initial break in - but it shouldn't be overly tight to begin with - that's more of an indication of something incorrectly assembled.

DementorLM likes this.
  6. DementorLM

Builder

Thank you for the help!

Today I took the motors off, Jogged them and sent the Hello World job. Everything went the way it should. So the motors ran fine.
    I went over everything and everything is correctly installed. Then I loosened the tension on the motors and loosened the threaded nut blocks on each axis and it was jogging fine again. So I concluded it was a tension problem or overtightened nut blocks.

So in the end, I played around with the lead screw tension, tightness of the nut blocks and current to the motors. I got it to the point where it worked fine. I did add dry ptfe lube to the leadscrews though.
    Once I added the router I had to readjust the X Axis. I managed to do 2 small test cuts on a scrap piece of 5mm cast acrylic. One at 1200mm/m at 1mm depth per pass, and another one at 1300mm/m at 1.2mm depth per pass. Both went well, but I am sticking to the 1200 settings since it gave me a better finish overall.

Then once I finished the second job. The machine stood still turned on for about 15 minutes. Then I went to jog the Y axis and to my surprise it did it again.
    Then I realized it was the Y2 motor causing issues/stalling making the Y1 move out of place. I re-set the current to the Y2 motor then it worked perfect again. This did happen before the first job, but on the X axis. I have to lower/raise the current by a very small bit and it starts working again. Which is weird. But it seems like I am getting closer to having it perfect.

Here are a few videos: OB_Update - Google Drive

7. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Sounds as though your nut blocks may be a bit stiff (they often are when new) - I usually recommend using a battery drill to grip the leadscrew and run the leadscrew back and forth through the nut blocks (with PTFE dry lubricant) several times - without the motors connected to them obviously.
    Alex.

DementorLM likes this.
  8. Peter Van Der Walt

Stock current setting (about halfway) is good for most machines. If that stalls, something is still a little tight yes.

Or if you can spin leadscrew easily by hand, carriages move without binding:

Then it could also be that the motor stalls from having current set too high (causing driver to overheat or enter overcurrent protection mode) ? (Red exclamation mark LED as described in the current adjustment section of docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox will be on if that is the case)
    Or an intermittendly loose wire (Motor Troubleshooting section under the FAQ section of docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox)

DementorLM likes this.
  9. DementorLM

Builder

I had a belt-driven machine before this one, so if that is a symptom of a new machine then that might actually be the case here. Thank you for the info

10. DementorLM

Builder

Honestly, today I could spin the Y2 and X axis by hand from the flexible coupling easier than yesterday. They are a bit harder to rotate from the tension nut but at least they spin by hand now.
    I did run into the red exclamation mark a few times while adjusting, but I turned the current down after that happened and I did not go higher than 3/4. I noticed the exclamation mark shuts off the motor completely when it happens. I think the nut blocks just need to break-in a bit then I can lower the voltage to half as you said. Slowly but surely it is getting smoother.

Thank you very much for the help. I definitely learned a lot about the machine during troubleshooting and I am very happy I made my first cut today using it.