Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lead 1010 with pen plotter - how to best set up workflow (WCS, macro, post processor?)

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by L G, Mar 29, 2022.

1. L G

L G New
    Builder

Hello!

I have a Lead 1010 and I've added a Sharpie pen plotter to it, and I could use some help figuring out the software (specifically how to best switch between the router and the pen.) My use case is to cut out sheet metal brackets, and then draw bend lines on them.

Here are pics of the setup:
    overview.jpg plunge.jpg removed.jpg retract.jpg

I'm using OpenBuilds BlackBox, Interface, Fusion 360, and the OpenBuilds post processor (v1.0.29).

My general idea (does it make sense?) is this:
    • G54 is for the router bit, and G55 is for the pen. When generating toolpaths in Fusion, one setup will be for the router using WCS1, and one setup will be for the Sharpie using WCS2.
    • I turn on the machine, and home it (which I think sets up G53)
    • I use the Interface and XYZ Probe Plus to set the work zero (which I think sets up G54)
    • Since the X-Y offset from the router bit to the pen is fixed, it is somehow automatically added to G54 and written to G55 (this is the part I'm most flummoxed on how to do)
    • I run the toolpath for the router, then attach the Sharpie to the machine
    • I set the Z zero for the Sharpie (if I'm using the Interface, is there a way to set the zero for G55?)
    • I run the Sharpie toolpath
    How do I best accomplish this? I was thinking of editing the post processor to have another entry field so I can add an XY offset (as I tune it to get the Sharpie exactly where I want), and that inserts a line at the beginning of the file with something like G10 L2 P1 X(offset) Y(offset).

Alternatively, is there a way to make G55 offset from G54 by a fixed value? That would solve my Z problem, too--the fixed offset would be something like 3" for X, 1" for Y, and zero for Z (then I can just re-zero the Z from the interface when it's Sharpie time).

Thank you for reading this!!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Look into the G10L20 command. The P parameter sets the coordinate system

So G10L10P1X0Y0Z0 and G10L20P2X100Y0Z0 (assuming a -100mm offset in X for the Plotter in G55) to zero both (Macro button)

Not really no, Interface is meant for those more regular setups, more advanced stuff you'd be better off with a PC. That said you can include the needed commands in your headers in the gcode files if you have to. At the top of a Plot job, go to zero in G54, then G10L20 the offset for G55, then go to G55 for the job
    I'd do my initial development of my toolchain using a PC though - once you have it repeatable and all figured out, you can go back to Interface with pre-set headers in your files.

Not really no, as both has G53 as base (G54-59.1 = G53+some offset) - when G54 moves, G55 needs to move to (as both are now at different offsets from G53)

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I would use a macro button in Openbuilds control to move the machine to the sharpie offsets (in G54), select G55, then use the 'setzero' buttons to set the G55 0,0,0 point.

I would avoid using G10 commands inside Gcode files.

The macro code for XY will be something like this
    Code:
    G17 G21 G90
    G54
    G0 X0 Y0                     ; go to the 0,0 set by your probe
    G91                              ; switch to relative mode
    G0 X(offsetinMM) Y(offsetInMM)   ; carefully get the signs correct, this is a relative move in millimeters
    G90 ; back to absolute mode

now select G55 in OBControl and use the setzeroXY button to set G55 zeros here.
    Yes, you could do this in the macro code, but I advise keeping brain engaged at this time rather than automating everything and getting caught out by a 'didnt see that coming'.

You will have to jog the pen down into position to set Z zero. This cannot be automated since we do not have a known consistant offset from the bit to the pen tip.
    As above, yes, but I do advise slow and careful development, incrementally moving toward your goal. 'knowing' not 'thinking' (-: RTFM etc etc

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.