Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

LEAD 1010 CNC - Bit length questions - guitar building

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Lewis Parker, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Lewis Parker

Builder

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I've ordered a LEAD 1010 cnc with the Dewalt router, and have a question about router placement in the spindle clamp. I am a luthier, and hope to use the machine for cutting out electric guitar bodies, necks, fretboards etc.

I've purchased a 4.5" end mill (OAL) which will extend from the collet 3.6" for doing through cuts on guitar bodies. My question is whether folks think I will be able to use this with the stock LEAD 1010, or whether I will need to get the High Z mod. I don't need to cut material thicker than 2" at this point, but would like to be able to use this bit and cut through 1.75" thick stock. I'm not sure I will have enough clearance without moving the spindle up in the spindle clamp. Am I right in assuming this? Will moving the spindle up in the clamp be unsafe? I also ordered a collet upgrade from Precise Bits for the Dewalt router.

Thanks

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Lewis, welcome to the forum!
    There is no problem with moving the router up. Should improve rigidity also so it's good.
    Try to always use the shortest bit you can given the job.
    Run some test cuts on scraps to see what depth of cut, speeds and feeds you can run with that bit.
    Cheers
    Gary

3. Lewis Parker

Builder

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the response. Will do re: tests. They also offer a shorter version of the same bit, which may end up being better suited to this application. May end up using a shorter bit, with a two sided operation. Only time and some tests will tell.

Thanks again,

Lewis